• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arranging seamless fills

knucklehead

Sorry, tried to delete the post and start over. I wanted to make sure I had the sources correct. I purchased a couple of seamless fills from Fred's Express Clipart collection, then I saw Freds company is Allied. Did I get the fills from Allied, or Express? Now I'm confused. Delete and start over.

So, anyhow I have a carbon fiber, and real fire fill. I have been duplicating them and trying to line them up by eyeballing, but there has to be a more accurate way. My eyes ain't as young as they used to be.

I'm using Corel X-4. How do I arrange the fills so they line up perfectly? Say making 4 wide x 3 high, which would be 18 x 24 inches. I used the arrange horizionaly, and verticaly, but it stacked some on top of each other, and I still had to arrange by hand. Is there an Easy button for this manuvuer? I have looked in the search, and my 8000 page Corel book, but can't find anything on this in particular.

If I can't even get a post deleted, is there a chance in hell I can get these fills lined up? Thanks Mike

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you need to do is look into Patterns!

Check out this video Tutorial!

The video demonstrates how to take a portion of a bitmap and make it into a pattern. But if you are wanting to add the entire tile, I think it is better to

• Open the Pattern Fill Dialog in Corel
  • Select Bitmap
  • Click the Load button
  • Navigate to the file and click OK
You can now use the pattern as a fill and control its scale from the Pattern Palette. This insures that you get the benefit of the seamless features of the entire tile and also have the entire highest resolution version in use.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sorry, tried to delete the post and start over. I wanted to make sure I had the sources correct. I purchased a couple of seamless fills from Fred's Express Clipart collection, then I saw Freds company is Allied. Did I get the fills from Allied, or Express? Now I'm confused. Delete and start over.

No reason to be confused. My company is Allied Computer Graphics. We operate several websites. www.Allcompu.com is for clipart collections; www.ExpressClipart.com is for individual images with the emphasis on vinyl ready vectors; and www.DigitalArtNow.com is our subscription website with the emphasis on seamless tiles.

So, anyhow I have a carbon fiber, and real fire fill. I have been duplicating them and trying to line them up by eyeballing, but there has to be a more accurate way. My eyes ain't as young as they used to be.

There are two recommended ways of using tiles.

1. Step and Repeat.

Open the tile in your workspace and then use the Step and Repeat command with a setting of 0 for the gaps. In Corel that is Control +Shift +D. After you have created the repeats, select all tiles and click on Bitmaps > Convert to Bitmap to make it all one seamless image.

2. Make the Tile into a Pattern.

• Open the Pattern Fill Dialog in Corel
  • Select Bitmap
  • Click the Load button
  • Navigate to the file and click OK

You can now use the pattern as a fill and control its scale from the Pattern Palette.

I'm using Corel X-4. How do I arrange the fills so they line up perfectly? Say making 4 wide x 3 high, which would be 18 x 24 inches. I used the arrange horizionaly, and verticaly, but it stacked some on top of each other, and I still had to arrange by hand. Is there an Easy button for this manuvuer? I have looked in the search, and my 8000 page Corel book, but can't find anything on this in particular.

See the reply above this paragraph. There are pros and cons to each approach. Using the Pattern Fill approach is generally easier and has better controls.

If I can't even get a post deleted, is there a chance in hell I can get these fills lined up? Thanks Mike

Absolutely. Just follow my directions and ask questions if you can't figure something out. You can ask here, you can contact us by email or phone through each of our sites, or you can join the support forum at www.DigitalArtNow.com. BTW, Signs 101 members are not allowed to delete their own posts or threads.

knucklehead

Thanks Fred and Signage, I'm gonna give it a go both ways. Either one has to produce better results than what I've been doing. I was wanting/trying to use the entire tile. When I import it into corel, it comes in at 6 x 6 inch. If I'm wanting to fill a 18 X 24 space, which method would give the highest resolution? If I took the 6x6, and made a pattern fill, wouldn't that be about the same as me stretching it out to 18x24? Which I have done, and it didn't look too bad. I'm not trying to print anything big, just guitar body size.

I only wanted to delete the post so I could make sure I had the supplier's name correct. I didn't want to post that I had purchased the fills from Freds XZY clipart, and then have Mr.Fred tell me he's not xzy co., and if I had purchased from Express, I wouldn't be having any problems.

Thanks again, I'll try that this afternoon.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred the way I would do it is go to tools and select create and choose pattern.

The problem I have with that is that it then wants a marquee selection. Since my purpose is to use the entire tile so as not to disturb any of it's seamless features, loading it preserves the seamless features. Using a marquee selection does not.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I was wanting/trying to use the entire tile. When I import it into corel, it comes in at 6 x 6 inch. If I'm wanting to fill a 18 X 24 space, which method would give the highest resolution? If I took the 6x6, and made a pattern fill, wouldn't that be about the same as me stretching it out to 18x24? Which I have done, and it didn't look too bad. I'm not trying to print anything big, just guitar body size.

The whole idea of a seamless tile is that it is tileable. That is what you are doing with either the step and repeat or by applying it as a tileable pattern. A seamless tile is created so that each side lines up perfectly with the opposite side so one can create a larger background with no seams or lowering of resolution. You should never stretch a tile as this destroys the intended look of the pattern. If you do, then make sure the proportional lock is turned on. You should instead employ the tiling features of your program to duplicate and thus enlarge the finished fill. In addition you should not crop away any part of the tile until you have completed any tiling to enlarge it. Doing so destroys the seamless feature of the tile.

If you want to change the scale of a tile so it looks correct with the object you are filling, then you should always do it as a proportionally locked size change. This is one reason why using the pattern fill feature of Corel is preferred over step and repeat ... it has a scaling feature in the controls.