• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Art fees set up fees fees fees

Sindex Printing

We charge $125 an hour for design. If it's a new customer I will have thrown in the first hour of design and layout in at no charge. Mainly I have learned over the years if you price your skill set low you will attract the customers that will only pay that. Once I raised my price my demand and business went up. (It was the same material and same quality just now more expensive).

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
You think $25 is fair for an hour of your time? This is a big issue for new business owners, they think they hourly rate is the same as a wage, it's not even close. The $25 /hr is what you should want to take home after all your expenses are paid (actually more but this is an example)

Also you said "$25 for an hour's work is good since there was no design work" again this is a common thought among new business owners, but it's flawed, your shop rate is the same weather you are designing a fleet of vehicles wraps, or weeding vinyl or cutting sign blanks.

I learned this really quickly recently. We moved into a new shop and just as soon as we have it ready and built out. Here we are in social distancing. Trying to make this business grow with an overhead that is much higher than when I first posted this question. I've got my prices set. Strangely enough, I got a price from Fedex for a banner. 3x6 and no artwork. it was $120. I'm not worried about my prices any longer. I have them figured out. And you're right. I came from a working for someone and $25 an hour was a wage. Not a shop time. I will succeed!

PrintGod31

All Hail Johannes gutenberg
I had this same problem with a Shirt order, told her it would be a down pymnt of 1hr which is $45. And she was like "oh ok thank you". Lol but I refuse not to charge anything for art fees. Being a designer I understand that time is money. Customers seem to think we just snap or fingers and do a dance and this stuff appears out of thin air.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had this same problem with a Shirt order, told her it would be a down pymnt of 1hr which is $45. And she was like "oh ok thank you". Lol but I refuse not to charge anything for art fees. Being a designer I understand that time is money. Customers seem to think we just snap or fingers and do a dance and this stuff appears out of thin air.

Thanks for that reminder down memory lane.

Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight..... get down tonight................................