• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ArtCAM Pro Issues...

SolitaryT

We have a ShopBot, and ArtCAM to set up the route profiles. I keep running in to this issue where I go to set up a toolpath, and it says "The selected vectors self-intersect. To identify self-intersections, group the vectors." "No toolpath was created for the current tool."

No matter what I try to do to fix this... it seems like random chance that fixes it. Anyone have any suggestions/experience?

SebastienL

I'm not familiar with ArtCam, but I do get the same error from time to time in type3.

It mean that, at some point, the path "loops" upon itself, making a figure "8" so to speak.
The tool has no "inside" or "outside" to choose from 'cause the outside of one loop is the inside of the other. You need to examine the path and remove the loop.

Happens often with paths that comes from Illy or Corel.

Hope this helps. Good luck

SolitaryT

It's an Illustrator file saved as a .pdf, and ArtCAM has a function that "fixes" errors, and it's really hit or miss. Sometimes, it's as easy as hitting the button, problem solved. Other times, it's an exercise in futility. This time is the latter. Stupid vector files anyway...

SebastienL

Here's what I usually do to fix this problem:

1-Go back to Illy and open the file.

2-Select the offending path and offset to the outside by 1/8" or so.
Object---Path---Offset Path. Enter a positive value.
This will show you if the path is open (which might be the reason for the error). If only one new path is created on the outside, the path is closed. If a new path is create outside and inside, the path is open. You will see where it is open where both new paths have a perpendicular line connecting to the points where the opening is.

3-To correct this, undo 'till your back the original path only. Using the white selection tool, Drag select the points where the opening is and: Objet---Path---join. The path is now closed.

That does't mean you're out of the woods yet. The "Loop" might be a few Thou big, you'll never find it, even going over the entire path at maximum zoom.

So:

4-Create a rectangle inside the offending path. Select both path and
Effect---Pathfinder---Add. This will create a Compound Path. Might have been a Compound path already, but do this step anyway...Thrust me.

5-Select said Compound Path and Object---Compound Path---Release.
This will split the Compound Path in indivual Paths.

6-Ungroup if all paths are grouped. Object---Ungroup

7-Select the path you want to keep and lock it. Object---Lock---Selection.

8-Now, here's the magic part... Sellect---All. You will see the offending areas where the path intersected itself as they will light up in the color of the layer they're on.

9- Click Delete... you're done.

If .pdf works for you, fine. But you might want to try other types to send to ArtCam. Illy can export both .dxf and .dwg. But I find, at least in Type3, that .eps works best.

Hope this works for you.

:toasting:

Last edited:

nwsigns

Its either overlapping vectors or duplicates - I hate working it Artcam so I design everything in Illustrator and import it which sometimes causes that. If you can get away with it you can just do an offset path and add a very small amount path which usually works. There is the Vector doctor tab which can fix that as well. Some times I just go back to the Illustrator file and fix it there - zoom in real tight and you will see the issue.

Techman

in artcam.. zoom in as much as possible.. You will find the offending item. The offending line may have a box on it as well.