• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artic Laminator Bottom supply shaft

Kyle Blue

I have a question, the manual talks about using the Bottom supply shaft to laminate both sides of a print. Does anyone know what kind of material you can use?

I talked to our supplier but they say because it is a cold laminator, that there is nothing we can use. I find that hard to believe since the manual clearly illustrates differently.

Thanks in advance.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have a GBC Arctic Titan 165. I dont see why you could not do so. Just load a second roll of laminate on the bottom - problem is for the adhesive side to face up you could not feed it over the lower stainless roller bar for the lower roll to feed over (it would have to run in over the feed table edge or direct to the lower rubber roller from under the feed table) and there is also no backing paper takeup for the lower roll.

Personally - I'd not try it as I'd feel like there is too much chance for wrinkles, on the few occasions we have needed to do full encapsulation we just laminate the first side, flip it and run it through again to laminate the back side.

Kyle Blue

@sightline
Yeah, I thought of that already. But like I said, the manual is clearly showing some kind of material on the bottom roller that doesn't seem to have any backing. So I'd thought I would see if anyone would know.

Anytime we laminate both sides, it get real messy. You have the sticky side of the laminate getting stuck to everything including the roller (Yikes!). Thank you for the input though.

@The Equipment Guy
Thanks, I'll shoot him an e-mail.

erlsigns

the bottom roll could be a sacrifice roll that goes through under the print and stops the laminate sticking to the rollers if it is bigger than the print...I'm building a second roll holder onto my duralam 60in as we speak...

Tony McD

My first large laminator was a hot laminator.
On hot laminators, the bottom could be laminate, or a mounting film with an adhesive back, etc....
With laminate top and bottom, you can "encapsulate" the print. (laminate top and bottom, and trimmed leaving about 1/4" of laminate all around to seal in the print)

Your cold laminator should do the same, but without heat.
Not sure why you would want to other than to encapsulate a paper print.
If you wanted to add an adhesive back, just use an already adhesive material.

Getting the tension set right top and bottom, and get both to run true to each other can be tricky.