• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artwork Proofing

shoresigns

You cannot 'lock' the document. You can always print to PDF which makes it a regular PDF
You're only partly correct, if a PDF is secured but with printing enabled. If printing is disabled in a secure PDF, then your workaround does not work, since most PDF apps respect the security settings.

You're only partly correct, if a PDF is secured but with printing enabled. If printing is disabled in a secure PDF, then your workaround does not work, since most PDF apps respect the security settings.

Ok, how much do you pay me if I disable the print protection on you PDF under a minute? :)

bannertime

Ok, how much do you pay me if I disable the print protection on you PDF under a minute? :)

Lol. I've been opening locked PDFs in Flexi for at least a decade now. It's so handy. I've gotten a few vector logos from locked catalogs or documents you find online.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You cannot 'lock' the document. You can always print to PDF which makes it a regular PDF

By "locking" a .pdf, I meant that you can set fairly tight security restrictions for its use.

NOTE: This is via Acrobat, I'm not sure if these options are available in other applications.

JB

PDF.jpg

Andy D

We actually don't send proofs for most jobs that the client sends artwork for. What's the point of sending their artwork back to them? I mean, we'll do it if there are a bunch of different parts to the job, just to confirm sizes and quantities.
I do, partly to confirm sizes, quantities, material, but also because (with the exception of TIFFs) I occasionally have janky things happen
when importing files.

I do, partly to confirm sizes, quantities, material, but also because (with the exception of TIFFs) I occasionally have janky things happen
when importing files.

In illustrator if you create a new file and "place" the pdf in instead of "open" - the file will be unchanged. I always send the proof back for confirmation cuz the client doesn't know that I didn't modify anything and they'll actually double check and look for their errors. Otherwise you'll have to reprint the stuff even if the fault is theirs...

Andy D

In illustrator if you create a new file and "place" the pdf in instead of "open" - the file will be unchanged. I always send the proof back for confirmation cuz the client doesn't know that I didn't modify anything and they'll actually double check and look for their errors. Otherwise you'll have to reprint the stuff even if the fault is theirs...

Even if they didn't convert the fonts to shape/outline & you don't have the font?
I have an older version of Corel and it seems like importing files is getting harder everyday...
About 90% of AI files come in all crazy.

Even if they didn't convert the fonts to shape/outline & you don't have the font?
I have an older version of Corel and it seems like importing files is getting harder everyday...
About 90% of AI files come in all crazy.

You don't need to have the font. Place the file-> object->flatten transparency-> convert text to outline

bannertime

Outside of the kindness of your heart, why would you reprint for customer errors? We specifically mention that we are not proof reading, fact checking, or verifying contact information in the artwork, and that any reprints are out of the customer's pocket. We look for obvious render errors and if we see something like "teh" instead of "the" them we kick it back, but we aren't copy editors.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We always send a pre-made template that I made with all the info on it, date, etc, and artwork - and only send rasterized artwork. Honestly I just plop the vectors in and raster before I save up. It's also got the typical sign-off space and you know, "spelling is your responsibility" etc. on it.

Locked document? I've opened a few before, very easy to do. Basically just save your own version of it and everything inside is available. Hence why I rasterize everything!

2B

had too many people / companies take PDF files and get them done elsewhere.
locking a PDF is pointless, they can be unloaded so easy

ONLY send proofs in JPG,
low res and with the project specs next to the item

Stacey K

I like making signs
Are you talking about file size for emails? I just put jpegs into a Onedrive folder and share. Sends a link so I don't have to worry about file size. Can put as much in there as I want. No screwing around with multiple emails. Google Drive...all sorts of options. IF that's what your talking about LOL

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
All this seems over complicated.
What we do is, Hit the "Print Screen" button. Open proof template, Paste on to template, crop if necessary, save proof to customer file as jpg and send it over for approval. If we need several views you can always zoom in on areas of your artwork and "Print Screen" again.

Everyone has their own way to skin a cat. I'm old and just use the tools that work for us.

Pewter0000

All this seems over complicated.
What we do is, Hit the "Print Screen" button. Open proof template, Paste on to template, crop if necessary, save proof to customer file as jpg and send it over for approval. If we need several views you can always zoom in on areas of your artwork and "Print Screen" again.

Everyone has their own way to skin a cat. I'm old and just use the tools that work for us.

Yep, snipping tool, same thing. It's good enough detail to see a proof.

JetPress

We switched over to low res JPGs with proof across them because we had a couple incidents where someone was able to unlock the PDF and remove proof. I remember one time I designed a logo and the business cancelled the order. A year later someone else from that business comes in and asks if we can make patches out of their logo. It was the same exact file I made for them without proof or security.

Pewter0000

Even with a non-useable proof, we have people steal our designs.. Got a quote, got a proof, and then they cancel... and I see a very similar design on a vehicle or window that another company re-made. We don't often get to the design stage without a deposit, but it does happen sometimes with little jobs.

And I'm not going to lie, I've had clients come in with an image that is clearly clipped from a proof from another shop, saying "can you make this?" ... well, um... yeah I can?