• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Asking for opinions...drop trowel & show me yours

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Our installers have more issues with the CV3 trapping air in channels than 180c. 480 is real nice but a LOT more expensive so we only use it where needed.
I have heard a lot of issues with removing the 175?
If your installers are having issues trapping air and can't get it out with ANY IJ180, they need installation and squeegee training.

I have had some issues with the 180CV3, I have a 3M claim going now. (and NO, it wasn't a prepping/installing error, it's a definate material failure) I purchased the roll in Oct 2018. I'm sticking with 3M because that's what my installers like, but we just purchased our first roll of 175CV3 at my distributors recommendation.

BUCKY

Switched to Avery about 2 years ago and have never looked back. We used 3M exclusively for 25 years. Just had way too many issues with 3M print materials
and became very disappointed with the lack of support as well. We never thought we would see the day that we would change materials.

Sounds like some shops on here do ok with support, but in our area Reps wouldn't even call our
Vendors back little lone us.

Our installers love the Avery 1105 compared to any 3M. When they started working for us they thought 3M was king as well and have since been converted.

I just talked to another area shop last week that asked if we were having issues with 3M like your description OP.

Try the Roland GCVP profile for printing.

signman315

Signmaker
Perhaps perform a controlled experiment using the potentially faulty roll? I.e. wrap a series of materials onto something around the shop with channels (such as your shop vehicle, or corrugated metal walls, anything that simulates your failed installs in question). Wrap it using a control and multiple combos of vinyl/print/lam/etc and see how they perform. Be meticulous in your controlled experiment and it will reveal the answer to you as well as educate you and your team about what performance to expect from any given materials. For example if you wrap your 3M material from the same roll you are experiencing failures, onto a controlled surface with a similar stretch % of the failed wraps and it stays down then it's likely an installer issue. But if it lifts in your experiment (which is installed under ideal and perfect conditions, following manufacturers procedure) then you have grounds to consider a faulty material.