• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aspire/ cant save new tool to tool data

trimitbyrich

I have Aspire 8.5 and I keep getting an error when I try to save a new tool to the tool data and have no idea how to fix it.

WildWestDesigns

Right clicking over the program should give you the option. If you are doing it over a pinned application, probably have to right click it twice to get the option (at least that was the case in Win 7 as far as I can tell).

However, I wouldn't advise running programs in admin mode (especially if they are connected to a WAN). Most modern programs shouldn't need to be run as admin anyway. Any decently coded one anyway. Never a good idea to give perpetual su privileges to a program.

3Dee

Check the attributes for the file folder containing the tool database. It may be set to Read Only.
Have you inquired with Vectric Tech Support or their user tech forum?
While I could list step by step where to find access to the folder, it would be to your advantage to consult Vectric for their help. There may be a reason it is set Read Only

tager_rot

What kind of computer do you have?

Give us the quick specs.
I.E.
PC or MAC?
What version OS is it Windows 7? Windows 10?

WildWestDesigns

If you have a Mac, well.... um, get a pc?

They irony here is that Macs are actually PCs. Despite the add campaigns of the late 90s, early aughts. A PC is really just a computer that can perform all tasks locally and don't have to be hooked up to a server/mainframe. They can be, but they don't have to be. Doesn't matter the OS and I would argue doesn't matter the arch of the chipset either (arm v. x86 etc).

billsines

Check to make sure the specs are all viable, like you don't have a negative value in the tool geometry or any special characters. Make sure the name is a new name so you're not overwriting an existing tool. Do you use a tool changer? Maybe you need to change the tool number?

I use VCarve Pro, but maybe this is the same in Aspire...are you trying to generate a V carving toolpath but trying to create a new end mill? Like the bit is completely wrong for the type of toolpath you're trying to generate? That gives me an error.

They irony here is that Macs are actually PCs. Despite the add campaigns of the late 90s, early aughts. A PC is really just a computer that can perform all tasks locally and don't have to be hooked up to a server/mainframe. They can be, but they don't have to be. Doesn't matter the OS and I would argue doesn't matter the arch of the chipset either (arm v. x86 etc).
You're a clever guy, aren't you? I bet you were every teachers favorite.

WildWestDesigns

You're a clever guy, aren't you? I bet you were every teachers favorite.

I may question things and I may not take things at face value, but I do my best not to resort to comments like that. Between the above comment and the one about my just being fun at parties, while it seems that you may be frustrated with my comments, that doesn't actually mean that that they are wrong. If I'm wrong in my belief show me, it does far better (logically anyway) then resorting to comments like that.

Which may actually add to your frustration towards them as well.

I may question things and I may not take things at face value, but I do my best not to resort to comments like that. Between the above comment and the one about my just being fun at parties, while it seems that you may be frustrated with my comments, that doesn't actually mean that that they are wrong. If I'm wrong in my belief show me, it does far better (logically anyway) then resorting to comments like that.

Which may actually add to your frustration towards them as well.

Oh, I didn't realize it was you. Yes I'm a bit frustrated as I try to help others the best I can. Making unnecessary and unsolicited comments about PC vs Mac just fills the thread with junk making it harder for current and future solution seekers to find what they need. For fun I go to 9gag, just try it, really.

WildWestDesigns

Oh, I didn't realize it was you. Yes I'm a bit frustrated as I try to help others the best I can.

Suggesting running a modern program with su rights is no bueno by the way. Maybe during the 9x era when there was no choice, but not now.

If a modern program requires it, then that's bad coding.

Suggesting running a modern program with su rights is no bueno by the way. Maybe during the 9x era when there was no choice, but not now.

If a modern program requires it, then that's bad coding.

Very informative and helpful. Thread can be closed. You're the best, seriously, look I just gave you thumbs up and whatnot

trimitbyrich

Got it! the tool database folder was indeed read only. I was able to find it from the error message and uncheck the read only box.

I am so grateful for this forum, it has helped me out of sooooooo many jambs.