• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aston Martin Vantage-Matte White

Divizion E

Hello, I am new to the forums and have stumbled across a little problem here.
I own a vehicle wrap business and I have been approached with many matte black customers but today, a customer came in wanting a Matte White. I usually just order the Oracal 970RA in matte black for the vehicle wraps but they do not carry a Matte white. Should I just use 3mIJ180Cv3-10 semi-gloss and laminate it with a cold matte over-laminate? Or are there any companies that carry matte white in a vehicle wrap film, similar to the Oracal 970RA?

Thank you so much!

-Divizion E

JoshLoring

I've noticed that ANY material that is all white has lamination browning issues. I wouldn't do the job. Lam or no lam matte white is a bad idea. It stains.

Divizion E

Then how do they wrap cars matte white? I google'd it and have seen it wrapped! I wouldn't want to lose a client.

Letterbox Mike

I personally know another Mini owner who (amazingly) wrapped his car in matte white (180C-v2 with 8520 lam), and has had it like that for about 2 years now, it's amazing in person, no issues that I've seen whatsoever. I'm actually considering wrapping mine matte white too, in person it's the most striking color I think I've ever seen on a car.

Gotta' say, a matte white Aston would be a beautiful thing. Definately post up pictures when it's done!

JoshLoring

You know what.. Those kinds of clients keep their cars indoors at all times, wash regularly and keep vehicles away from the elements for the most part.

Now that I think about it.. Go for it =)

Divizion E

I think I am going to go with a Oracal 3551GRA semi-gloss white with a matte overlaminate, should be up to 4.75 mil and insure a great wrap :)

speedmedia

Are you sure 3551RA will be ok? Might want to go with 3951RA for a little more workable and lasting.

Thanks,
Kurt

Divizion E

well I looked at the Aston Martin Vantage and it seems to me that the car is fairly flat, not too many curves to worry about, I will take it into consideraton! Is it that much of a difference? My supplier is out of 3951RA.

ProWraps

how can it stain? i have cars that i have wrapped with a ton of white on them. its not stained. why would matte lam allow staining and gloss wont?

this makes no sense.

JoshLoring

stain during the laminating process?

No, I haven't quite figured it out yet and working to find out why... but what I have noticed is that all white wraps start browning after a period of time. Much faster then wraps with all color.

Why? Not 100% sure . I think it has do with how the white reflects through the lamination. It causes browning (On horizontal surfaces) in less then a year if the vehicle isn't washed every week.

Just think.. White reflects all light. That means that all white material is reflecting through the lamination all the time causing extra stress and wear. Now, color absorbs a certain amount of light and reflects only some back through the lamination.

My thoughts.. Scientifically... All white wraps that are in the sun (in direct light, hoods, roof etc) cause undue stress to the lamination causing it to brown.

Last edited:

Divizion E

So I will just mention in the fine print to wash once a week? Muahahahah ;) just kidding I will notify him about the browning issue and see, he might want a flat black. I said matte white is more elegant for an Aston martin lol, thank you for the help everyone!

CheapVehicleWrap

The wouldn't be a pic available of this top side browning would there? Somehow I would think NOT washing it would help prevent the browning as this is more of a UV staining than a dirt staining. Is the browning consistent across the entire panel or spotty?

Brandon708

about the stains: just make sure you explain that it can stain if you dont keep it clean at all times. Im sure he would understand. Its like wearing a white sweatshirt or in his case a white suit.

MachServTech

Avery 1005EZ RS and 1080 Matte Clear Over-laminate will give you a totally flat white look. (or if you prefer "satin" :wink: )