• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

attaching ACM to steel frame

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't mean a direct hit, but in the vicinity. Around here, during cold months, the snow plows will hit signs with such force, that in the spring there are lots of repairs needed. Built in obsolescence is nice, but ya need to at least construct them correctly to withstand normal conditions and a 4 x 8 3mm won't withstand sh!t. The 6mm needs support in the middle at least one, if not 2 uprights in there. Ask your local codes department what they wanna see in there and then ask your insurance company if you're covered for these kindsa circumstnaces.

tulsagraphics

I take it these are over-sized panels ??
The recessed area is slightly over-sized so the panels will fit in there without smashing against the welds. Basically a 1/4" gap on all sides. The graphics are pretty basic -- white background w/ 2-color cut vinyl lettering, nothing crazy. Should look fine, but I can add extra trim/edge covers if necessary. This very small church had a low budget and only wanted the basics - so I didn't pull out all the stops this time.

tulsagraphics

After discussing pros/cons with the client, they gave me the okay for visible (painted) fasteners, and the panels have been upgraded to 6mm Alumalite. :)

Lots of great info in here everyone. Very much appreciated!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
For the sake of playing devil's advocate, and assuming you can get acm to bond to itself really well...........Couldn't you in theory bond the two sheets to themselves once in place?

Run a bead of vhb or whatever along that frame just to be safe, but if you scuffed and bonded the two sheets together with that lipped sandwiched between..........wouldn't that just about stay in there until the end of time?

I personally would go w/ mechanical fasteners, but just curious more than anything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the sake of playing devil's advocate, and assuming you can get acm to bond to itself really well...........Couldn't you in theory bond the two sheets to themselves once in place?

Run a bead of vhb or whatever along that frame just to be safe, but if you scuffed and bonded the two sheets together with that lipped sandwiched between..........wouldn't that just about stay in there until the end of time?

I personally would go w/ mechanical fasteners, but just curious more than anything.
You'll see in post #8 that there is about a 2" or 3" gap between the faces.

tulsagraphics

As I was installing today... I could definitely imagine how flimsy 3mm ACM would have been compared to the 6mm Alumalite I used. Still a little bit of flex with 6mm using 8 fasteners... 12 was the perfect amount. Thanks all! :)