• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching banner to angled roof, cant use nails

VicoDrive

A client want to put some large vinyl banners on their angled rooftop. The landlord will not let them nail them into the roof. The only way I can think to do it is run rope through grommets that are staked into the ground, thrown over the rooftop and through the grommets, and staked into the ground on the other side of the building. They MIGHT be able to nail them into the brick instead. Is there any other method or mounts that are made more for this kind of situation?

fozzie

My advice is to walk away from this. Inform client that unless you can secure the banner to the roof with fasteners you won't do it. Not sure what your sign codes may say on this also.
Or tell them you will make the banners but installation is entirely up to them.
You will spend a lot of time and energy figuring out a way to Jerry-rig a solution that probably won't work. Not sure on banner size but a good wind will wreak havoc on the banner, rope, whatever you come up with. ropes typically have a lot of stretch in them and can also cause damage to building, shingles, whatever rubbing against them.
end result - client will blame you and want refund.
Move on to jobs that offer less risk.

VicoDrive

My advice is to walk away from this. Inform client that unless you can secure the banner to the roof with fasteners you won't do it. Not sure what your sign codes may say on this also.
Or tell them you will make the banners but installation is entirely up to them.
You will spend a lot of time and energy figuring out a way to Jerry-rig a solution that probably won't work. Not sure on banner size but a good wind will wreak havoc on the banner, rope, whatever you come up with. ropes typically have a lot of stretch in them and can also cause damage to building, shingles, whatever rubbing against them.
end result - client will blame you and want refund.
Move on to jobs that offer less risk.

Good advice but I think they plan on mounting this themselves. We would only be doing the printing. Sign codes are not an issue either, its out in the country. I was trying to think of some kind of alternative, like maybe PVC lettering. Wind wouldnt be an issue but I guess you would still have to nail them to the roof somehow. Maybe we can talk them into doing standard banners on two poles by the road.

visual800

Since you mentioned nail thru roof, I would assume its shingled. and since that I would offer to lift the shingles and tuck banner under that and screw it. if they dont go for that walk the hell away and tell them to install themselves