• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching edge caps to Alumalite

Jillbeans

What is your preference?
For years I have used silicone but I am not 100% pleased with it.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Availability here is only the plastic C channel for 4 mil size that fits tight .. so like to read more comments here ...good post

Jillbeans

That's exactly what I am talking about, I should have been more specific.
The edge caps fit on very snugly but I like them to stay on.
I recently tried a latex-based adhesive which was supposed to dry clear.
It never dried!

SignManiac

PL adhesive usually works well. Just scruff up the inside surface with some sandpaper or a file so it's not slickerish.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Thing is your edging expands and contracts more than your Alumalite, will work most adhesives loose. I have cut 3M VHB foam tape down and applied it to the edge of the Alumalite then slipped the trim on with some success. There's also a clear adhesive called "Goop" (I think) for automotive trim, it's sold in the Auto department in Wally World, I've used it on other stuff but haven't had a chance to try in on this specific use, great stuff though.

Sign_Boy

daveb - you had me up until you mentioned the "W" word - that place is the devil JMO - thanks for the tip

When I first showed up at this shop they were using white "Tub and Tile" acrylic adhesive... I kept thinking it was a baaad idea, finally did a test in the shop and I switched to Silicone.

Since then I have used Lexel Clear and Silicone II on a consistent basis and have had pretty good luck. The biggest thing I have as a tip is to make sure that the edge of the Alumilite is clean of any cutting debris...

signgal

Yeah, the customer doesn't always get that they are just trim either. They think it's a stinkin' frame and they can haul around a 4x8 sign just holding onto the trim.

What about gorilla glue... I know it's not clear but if you don't goop it on?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yeah, the customer doesn't always get that they are just trim either. They think it's a stinkin' frame and they can haul around a 4x8 sign just holding onto the trim.

What about gorilla glue... I know it's not clear but if you don't goop it on?

I use Gorilla Glue. Just a bit every 6 inches or so on the Alumalite, not the edging. Haven t had a failure yet. I always run a diagonal of blue tape across each corner so there's no question the this is edging and not part of the board. I hope the clients remember to remove it before they put up the sign.

signgal

I use Gorilla Glue. Just a bit every 6 inches or so on the Alumalite, not the edging. Haven t had a failure yet. I always run a diagonal of blue tape across each corner so there's no question the this is edging and not part of the board. I hope the clients remember to remove it before they put up the sign.

Thanks, Bob! great idea and I'm gonna try the Gorilla Glue next time... hmmm you're not so mean and scary after all