• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching HDU to Dibond

fresh

I have a 4x6' 1" thick single sided HDU panel that I am mounting to a sheet of 3mm polymetal for added rigidity. We have done this in the past, and used a 2 part epoxy from Home Depot (probably some Locktite brand stuff, I don't have an empty tube in front of me.)

I actually have 5 panels to mount, so I am interested in seeing how others do this. We will go through A LOT of those little containers, and I was hoping for a better solution.

fresh

I'm sure Lord has something that works for you. Most sign suppliers carry this brand. I know Glantz carries Lord adhesives and accesories, you'll want to give them a call. If you call and tell your rep "I want to glue X to X" they'll make a recomendation.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives.xml

I looked into the Lord adhesives, and in the future I'll budget in an extra $100 or so for glue, but I'm already doing this job for slightly less than I want to, so I'm not dropping an extra $95 for glue plus $50 for the applicator & tips. That stuff is expensive, but I've heard a few people say its the bees knees, so hopefully I'll remember to include it the next time I quote a dimensional sign.

fresh

looks like precision board recommends its own PB Bond (gorilla glue is basically the same thing) for HDU to alum.

but I would also put some mechanical fasteners in through the back for good measure

http://www.precisionboard.com/companion-products/tips-laminatingbonding-precision-board-hdu/

I ordered this from my supplier last week. They sent me a bottle that appeared to have been opened, complete with a thick crust around the rim. I didn't feel confident enough to order another bottle.

You know, its probably not PB's fault I got a bad bottle, I really need to re-evaluate the relationship I have with my supplier. It seems like every week I'm sending something back to them, and its getting annoying.

fresh

I've had good luck with Gorilla Glue, but I also like to use some type of screws for added insurance.

I'm happy to hear you've been successful with Gorilla Glue. We always over-engineer everything, too. Yea Mechanical Fasteners!

Z SIGNS

I just discovered that if you put gorilla glue in the microwave for twenty seconds it flows out the bottle like water

Jillbeans

If you're using GG make sure to do so sparingly as it can grow and make a huge mess that's a pain to clean up.
I'd spend the extra $$ for the better glue, so you don't have to re-glue anything.
Love....Jill

nwsigns

Good point Jill, make sure either clamp well or use screws. Otherwise you will end up with a nice Oreo cookie that will leave a bad taste in yer mouth

Joe Crumley

It seems there's a fondness for GG. For this application I use good old Epoxy. A quick scuff of the Dibond and you have a close to perfect bond.

All that said, I challenge anyone to glue a strip of Dibond to a strip of HDU, set it out in the sun for a day and see what happens. Lets a 2"X4' test strip. It will warp in no time. HDU doesn't like being glued to anything except itself.

Joe Crumley

Last edited by a moderator: