• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching Jewelite to Acrylic

truckgraphics

One of our truck wrap customers has asked us to replace a shaped acrylic sign face that fell in a windstorm. This is not a product we make in our normal routine, but is a project that we should be able to handle.

Getting the shape made was no problem and in the past, we have attached Jewelite to a shaped sign using the nail method to hold the Jewelite in place while the cement cures.

However, last time we used Weld-On 3 (the thin stuff) to attach the Jewelite to the acrylic. I am told (by my supplier) that Weld-On 40 is the better choice. However, it is a thicker adhesive. The 3, (as the experts out there to whom I am calling, know) seeps between the acrylic and the Jewelite.

My question is, how do you apply the 40. Paint it on? Inject it? Is it thick enough to form a filet on the back side of the sign? Will it seep through from one side to another?

Also, do you apply the vinyl (it is a simple cut out) on the face of the sign before or after gluing on the Jewelite. That is, will the Weld-On seep through and melt the vinyl. (I would rather apply the vinyl first, but my guess is that this is asking for trouble.)

Any help is appreciated.

(Also, I am new to this forum. If this was a Newbie question, my apologies for posting in the wrong forum).

Thank you.

visual800

ALWAYS place transaparent vinyls on faces before welding trimcap on, weld-on 3 is all we used and still using the nail method

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Agreed...if it's a new face, apply the vinyl then trimcap it.

does anyone use the magnet method?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Gotchya. I guess it depends on how much trimcap you apply on whether going to magnets is worth it, but it sure is a time saver.

truckgraphics

Thanks to everyone for the information. We used Weld-On 3, followed by 40, dabbed on the crease. Used the nail method to hold it and it worked just fine. Don't think we will make a habit of it - not a fan of climbing / holding ladders or renting lifts - but the weather was nice for the install, the sign fit like a glove, we made a few bucks and kept our customer happy.

visual800

Thanks to everyone for the information. We used Weld-On 3, followed by 40, dabbed on the crease. Used the nail method to hold it and it worked just fine. Don't think we will make a habit of it - not a fan of climbing / holding ladders or renting lifts - but the weather was nice for the install, the sign fit like a glove, we made a few bucks and kept our customer happy.

I agree its not something you wanna crank out all week long for sure, its almost like prison work.