• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching standoffs with adhesive

gnubler

Has anyone used an adhesive or VHB to attach standoffs to a main backer board? I'm putting together a donor recognition display that's going to have around 35 plaques on it mounted with standoffs. The plaques measure 6x4" using 1/4" acrylic. Still deciding between 1/2" acrylic or 12mm PVC for the backer, but either way wanting to not have to drill 70 holes into it for all the standoffs (two standoffs per plaque, top & bottom). Especially worried about all that drilling into acrylic.

Will this work? Could I just use regular standoffs even though they have a small hole in the barrel where a screw would normally pass through? I'm attaching an image I found on another thread here showing a board with a lot of donor plaques, but I'm guessing they were screwed on, not glued.

Attachments

• donor-1.jpg
    donor-1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 380
Looks like an expensive job, why not print the pattern on the back of the board mirrored, you'll have perfect alignment

Becca Johnson

I wouldn't be worried about drilling holes in the acrylic if you are having each acrylic panel routed - with the holes. The same manufacturer that sells us the acrylic, routes the holes. We send them the file. We get stand offs from MBS stand offs systems. I have done several of these projects. Ultimately, you dont want anyone to be able to pop off the "faux" stand offs, might as well do the real deal.

If the stand offs are 1/4" or 1/2" diameters - then you could get away with using super glue to adhere the stand offs...but I have had some issues with them popping off from time to time.

Lauren-R

Stuff and Stuff
70 holes doesn't take long if you have a template to use, I used to do this all the time and it only takes 10-15 mins, once you get going, they go quick, just pause every row or so to let the bit cool down some. Small bits to drill small holes isn't as hard as medium holes close to the edge of acrylic.
Or as said, router them out when you get your acrylic, or if you have a laser, laser the holes slightly smaller than the screw size so they fit snug.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
06.jpg
Yes, it can be done. I've actually done this at the end customers request because they didn't want a bunch of holes in the wall. I explained that it would very likely still damage the paint and likely the drywall as well, if they ever removed them, but they said they would just paint it. I explained again that it would likely need drywall repair, but they insisted. I can't recall the customer's name so I'm not finding any completion photos, but it's completely doable and as long as no one is monkeying with them. they'll stay in place. That being said, drilling the holes isn't that big of a deal and is just an all-around better option.

The attached acrylic panel was installed the same way: a total of eight clear visible plastic standoff barrels and a number of others hidden by the larger letters on the back. These were attached to the vinyl on the back of the panel and then the glass with clear VHB tape. I wrote up a brief statement indicating in so many words that this was a horrible idea and someone could be injured if it ever fell and that I was not responsible if that were to happen. I had the customer (sign company) and end-customer both sign off on it and installed it.

I should have walked away, and if faced with the same situation now, I definitely would. Fortunately, they merged with another company shortly thereafter, so this sign has since been removed. The good news is that it stayed up.....which is my point in sharing this - yes, you could tape those in place and they'll stay. It's just asking for trouble, especially when drilling the panel isn't difficult.

Last edited: