• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attention HP l25500 owners!

Latigo

We're getting excited here, and....
Strangest darn thing. The Mutoh began working again, but... If we let it turn off it takes about two hours for the heater to begin working again ... sort of.... maybe. That chip board isn't quite dead, but it's dying for sure. I'm going to try to find the right circuit board, but I'm betting it won't be easy. It would be way cool if we had two printers, but the dependability factor on it right now is about 5% at best. It turned itself off twice yesterday evening, ruining a couple of print runs, but so far so good this morning.
We're going to run it till the new one is here tomorrow before we shut it off again. No guarantee that it will start again.

*Sorry for the confusion with the names. We have one Premium Membership and it's under Dad's name.*

bouch19

My point of reference is from using a JV3 for 7+ years in a fast paced shop that outputs on a number of different medias and frequently processes rush orders.

I went to a vendor open house to see a demo of the HP a few weeks ago. My impression of the media loading and unloading along with the media take up reel was that it was overly complex and time consuming. If we were more of a production shop then it wouldn't be that big of a deal but for us, I think these issues would be a pretty big hassle.

Although I didn't notice it, I've also heard that some owners are not happy with the sheen of the print. I've heard that it's too flat/dull.

I've heard rumors that a new model is due to arrive in a few months so if any of the above issues might be a concern for you, you might want to wait to see if any of them get addressed in the new model.

You are right-on with the media loading and un-loading issue. Like you, I used a JV3 in a fast-paced environment for 5 years and the HP would've driven me crazy. Now I'm in more of a project-oriented environment where we don't need to print on 10 different media each day so it's not an issue, but the process of changing rolls, feeding the media, waiting for the printer to heat up, etc. can be painful. It's a nice printer, we're very happy with the quality and it has all the advantages others have mentioned but it definitely feels like an HP desktop printer, i.e. a lot of plastic parts and not engineered with a busy, professional environment in mind. Again, not regretting the purchase in the least just get a little frustrated with it on occassion.

signswi

That's why we're keeping our JV3 online as long as we can. We'll beat it up with the one off jobs and banners and such and do our high quality and/or high quantity jobs through the L25500 to minimize media switching on the HP. At least that's the plan.

jayhawksigns

Same here. Going to leave banner material loaded in our JV3 for now, at least until we get comfortable with the L25500.

Never thought that we would be running 4 different printers here but its fun to have lots of toys.

artbot

one thing for the guys that haven't seen it in action. this printer kinda does the "shimmy" as it prints. definitely not a deal breaker on such good engineering. but as the carriage goes left and right the printer kinda absorbs the direction change into the frame. it's really compact too. at a glance you'd swear it's a 52" instead of 5'.

nate

Just picked up an additional four of these today. They're great machines, and yes they do tend to dance a little--- nothing to worry about, especially if a good song is playing.

artbot

jerky changes in direction are hard on a machine. i'd be glad if the machine performed perfectly but did have the ability to absorb it's own energy.