• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attention HP l25500 owners!

Bly

Thanks Signswi. That's interesting. I would have thought non plastic coated media would be a problem.

How about the printheads. How often have owners had to replace them?
I notice they are not cheap.

I haven't tried it yet but Museo, makers of very very good artist inkjet papers, have profiles available for the HP L25500 on a good number of their papers: http://www.museofineart.com/index.php/icc-profiles/

That said the color gamut isn't even close to a Canon iPF or Epson Aqueous--CMYKLcLm isn't very broad. Will do fine for Joe Average off the street though for sure.

The front loading system on the L25500 is great but the take-up is really annoying and you have to catch it at the right time in order to tape off as you can't pause the machine. Either that or pre-tape the take-up and lose 4' of material. Plus how the take-up works after attached is fussy as well but if you've had experience with HP machines you've already used this system. The L25500 is just the HP 6100 body with new print guts.

Last edited:

MachServTech

How about the printheads. How often have owners had to replace them?
I notice they are not cheap.

At about $100 a pop they are easily stocked like ink. I dont know of another outdoor durable printer that has cheaper printheads, even if I install them myself the cheapest dx4 solvent printhead is about $600.

I typically get 4 or 5 liters out of each head.

ProColorGraphics

For the heads, even if it does end up being the same price in the long run as a DX4, you are getting new heads and the new head print quality way more often. Plus if a head goes out prematurely or you have a nasty head strike, a $100 bill is a lot easier to swallow than $1000+

Bly

Ok I googled the head price and got $800 for some reason. Maybe that was for a set.
The system does sound economical.
I'm used to the Designjet system having run 5500s for years so appreciate the plug and play deal.
The only comment I have with HPs is sometimes their self diagnosis software can go into backflips, giving weird error messages and random faults.
Hopefully these printers have most of the bugs sorted.

I'm guessing the deals going now are because a new model is coming out soon.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Ok I googled the head price and got $800 for some reason. Maybe that was for a set.
The system does sound economical.
I'm used to the Designjet system having run 5500s for years so appreciate the plug and play deal.
The only comment I have with HPs is sometimes their self diagnosis software can go into backflips, giving weird error messages and random faults.
Hopefully these printers have most of the bugs sorted.

I'm guessing the deals going now are because a new model is coming out soon.

Yes which the dealers should have mentioned when everyone got theirs, the L26500 should be here in October.

Latigo

Our research shows that the new model changes are negligible, and that's why we bought the L25500 now. Anyone have anything saying otherwise?

ProColorGraphics

Yes which the dealers should have mentioned when everyone got theirs, the L26500 should be here in October.

I figured that had to be the case when I ordered mine, but the new L26500 wouldn't be priced at $13,500 either.

Do you know what they are updating or adding to it?

HulkSmash

I figured that had to be the case when I ordered mine, but the new L26500 wouldn't be priced at $13,500 either.

The l26500 wont be announce until October, and then released until like April.
Not to mention it's going to be priced over 20k.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Actually the new model is being introduced at $11,700.00 and its a 63" printer that is 2x faster with options for white ink.

ProColorGraphics

I'm sure I'm on the unique side, but I would rather see the light blacks come rather than white. I prefer the print quality.

Speaking of quality, I had a Caldera test print that I ran on my L25500. I then ran it off on my VP-540 and I think the difference is significant. I will see if I can get pics where you can see the difference. The skin tones are huge! I think they are way less grainy looking too.

Bly

I'm sure I'm on the unique side, but I would rather see the light blacks come rather than white. I prefer the print quality.

Speaking of quality, I had a Caldera test print that I ran on my L25500. I then ran it off on my VP-540 and I think the difference is significant. I will see if I can get pics where you can see the difference. The skin tones are huge! I think they are way less grainy looking too.

6 ink vs 4 ink will do that.
Probably splitting hairs for sign output though.
I have seen L25500 output though and it is pretty nice.

ProColorGraphics

6 ink vs 4 ink will do that.
Probably splitting hairs for sign output though.
I have seen L25500 output though and it is pretty nice.

It also depends on what kind of printing your doing and how picky your clients are. I make decals for some companies that are picky with their color quality. They pay well for them too though.

Yeah, I agree, your not gonna notice it for signage that is more than a few feet away. I still personally think it's worth it.

moggle

New model L26500 will still be same 6 colour and will utilise the new 792 ink set.

Should be announced Oct and released Nov from what I know.
Likewise recent price drop in Aust is due to new model, all stocks or nearly all existing stocks have already been sold.