• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attn: Members from New York state

CanuckSigns

I've got a question for the members from the new york state area. In a few weeks my wife and I will be going to Boston for a long weekend, we are trying to decide if we should fly or drive, driving is about 9 hours each way, not too bad.

The route is mostly along I-90 from Buffalo to pretty much Boston, Google tells me this is a toll road, is there any way to find out how much I will be paying in tolls? As I'm not from the area, I'm going to have to pay in cash, I don't have much experience with driving in the US, Am I going to have to slow down every so many miles and pay or do you pay when you exit the freeway?

Also, is the I-90 a decent road or am I going to be regretting 18 hours of driving by te end of the trip?

Sorry for the odd questions.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's a pretty time to make the drive with the leaves changing and all. The booths aren't close enough together to slow you down that much. Set aside about $30 in $5's and $1's and you should be fine. It's been a while since I've driven it but if you have the time, make the drive.

Baz

I-90 is a real easy drive. Nice to, especially in the fall.

I did it a couple of years ago when i went to Boston. Can't remember how much it cost in tolls. But like Moze suggest. 30 bucks or so in small bills and change should be plenty.

I would love to have these "thru-ways" up here in Canada. Seems those roads are in better condition than our highways so maybe adding some tolls would help the situation. Plus it makes it real easy to go long distances through small towns.

geb

Bring some change also for toll booths for exact change and don't go through the EZ pass lanes unless your familiar with them, you pay a toll when you choose an exit, there is a ticket given when you get on with a breakdown of price and what exit costs what, I'm not familiar with the wetern part of the toll road though. You should move smooth unless accidents, slow down to suggested speed limit in construction zones or pay a heavy fine. Hopefully the foliage will be kickin in and not past prime conditions, have a safe trip.

George

jrsc

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/calc/index.html
use this to calculate your tolls. don't worry about exact change. you only pay when you get off (except when you go through buffalo there is a booth on either side of the city because there is no tolls in the city) and there is an attendant at every booth. 90 is an easy drive and one of the better maintained roads in NY. You shouldn't expect to hit any traffic in NY that will slow you down much. I can't speak for the MA portion of the road.

DizzyMarkus

I think the largest toll on the thruway is $19.00 (for NY only)so even if you took it to its full length thats what you would pay. Shorter distances traveled on I-90 have a smaller toll. The road is fine for travel no bummpy country road here -- its a 4 lane interstate highway ;0) Yes you only pay getting off -- when you enter grab the ticket and don't loose it hehe. DO NOT ENTER THE PURPLE lanes -- they are ez pass -- you dont have it. Look up at the lanes with "green arrows" to enter.

have a safe trip,
Markus