• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Auto Body Customer

WildWestDesigns

WildWest.... my ability to embroider is about nil. My uncle.... and now his daughter and son run the show, would do literally thousands upon thousands of garments per order. Their warehouse was always full of orders going out. They had accounts around the world and large ones at that. So, no, I've never associated with an embroidery shop that does one and two. In fact, around the town I live in, all of the shops have minimums. I think the least you can get is like a dozen. If I had to get one or two shirts done, I'd have no idea of where to look. So, perhaps when doing one at a time, quality control is far easier not to have mistakes. I might have to look you up for only a few. Even my cousin won't do a small order for me.

Only on flat items that are regular logo crests will I do the low items. If I have to do something that is specialty, like puff foam (or even patches if I have make sure a Merrow machine is used) I do have minimums as a short production run can kill your profit, especially with puff foam. Too much comes into play with that stuff, even if the pattern is setup perfect for it. It requires too many things to be setup just right that makes a short run not very feasible. That's another reason why I use underlay to simulate that effect if they are just wanting a little bit of puff (pattern permitting).

signage

I would charge them the same as if I supplied the vinyl! If they did like it they can go to another shop.

Working with their vinyl, is it fresh or it it old, was it stored correcty, what if the cutter has a hickup and cuts across the material, ect.

Bly

I get university students a lot wanting their work printed.
Give them a cheap price then they ask how much if you print on my paper?

My answer > No. We don't do that.

tomence

Why?

You already "lost" the job.
This way you can at least get a piece of it and it could lead to more work if you don't jerk the guy around.

I noticed Gino's post too. To each his own, but the more I thought about it I wish everybody would bring me material to work with. No more inventory and the associated carrying costs.
I would be guaranteed of having the EXACT material the client wanted to use.
Like Pat said the vinyl is the smallest part of it.

This was post was presented as another point of view. Although I am sure there will be the requisite bashing.
As I stated in other threads: What works for me may be completely wrong for your business model.

Let me tell you why! Because they are cheap a$$ customers that's why!

Also you never had the job so how can you have lost the job?

J

john1

Next time i go out to eat, I'm bringing my own hamburger and asking "How much if you use my burger?"

rjssigns

Okay, you guys win. You're right, this model of doing business is practically taboo for me, but if it works for you, then git 'r done.

The thing neither of you are acknowledging is a simple fact..... I was saying not to set a business practice up doing this and that many don't do this.

Both of you have changed, or at least changed your tune as to how and why it works in a rather limited occurrences.

WildWest.... my ability to embroider is about nil. My uncle.... and now his daughter and son run the show, would do literally thousands upon thousands of garments per order. Their warehouse was always full of orders going out. They had accounts around the world and large ones at that. So, no, I've never associated with an embroidery shop that does one and two. In fact, around the town I live in, all of the shops have minimums. I think the least you can get is like a dozen. If I had to get one or two shirts done, I'd have no idea of where to look. So, perhaps when doing one at a time, quality control is far easier not to have mistakes. I might have to look you up for only a few. Even my cousin won't do a small order for me.

For rjs.... yes, I was talking signs, not welding, but in all of the fab shops around here, again.... ya gotta go with what the guy will do and not many let you bring your own stuff, unless you are doing custom work.

So, yes, I had a guy bring in his satellite dish and we wrapped it. Some guy brought in a mirror and we sandblasted it. We had people bring in toy chests, bed-frames, ceiling tiles and many other things and we painted or printed on it, but we told them upfront it is not the normal way and if something goes wrong, we can't be held responsible.

I guess when you said you would rather have customers bring you everything, I took you at your word that you meant what you said. I didn't realize you had stipulations which in turn saying they got what they wanted by bringing in what they wanted had yet another set of meanings.

I believe it is safe to understand there are always going to be exceptions to all the rules and all the business models out there, but to make broad statements, like this is a better way than the norm, didn't seem like a 'blue sky' kinda deal at all. It sounded like you wanted this to be your 100% normal transaction. That's all I was commenting on.

Believe me, nothing is Black & White in my world. Nothing at all.

If there's one thing I've learned in business and in life, it's to roll with the punches, but don't get into a brawl where punches are everywhere. Control your environment and you'll have a much easier day of it.

:goodpost:

boxerbay

depends on total sq footage. if it's a small one i would not bother. If he's talking full rolls then i would subtract the material cost from the job and bill him for the labor and transfer tape.