• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Auto-Rotate / Nest in Onyx Thrive?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Is this possible in Thrive? What I'm looking for is a way to load a bunch of files (in either RIP Queue or Layout Tool) and have it automatically rotate if needed to fit a certain sheet size.

Kind of like how Roland Versaworks does it automatically - if one dimension is too large to fit media, it auto-rotates to fit.

Seems like it should do this but I can't find a setting/option anywhere. I would tend to think I could add this to a quick-set...which would be ideal.

Thanks.

CanuckSigns

I would also like to know this, it's something that seems so simple, but onyx has real issues with it sometimes, it only works about 50% of the time for me.

JulieS

I haven't been able to figure this out in Thrive. It is a big let-down after using VersaWorks for so many years. But my new Epson printer is so much easier to use than the ancient Roland, I'm not complaining too much ;-)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Well that's disappointing! Seems like a simple feature that should be included.

Thanks for the link Particleman - I hadn't come across that one yet and will play around with it.

Are any of you currently running Thrive 18.5? I'm about to try it out and am in communication with someone at Onyx.

I'll ask them and see if I can get an answer and will report back with my findings.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
upload_2019-4-17_23-45-13.png

Are you talking about the placement strategy? "Conserve Media" auto-rotates as needed (click on the gear icon to customise), and you can queue up as many jobs as you like.
We do this with large runs of labels all the time. No issues with cut lines etc. Can often queue up a few thousand at a time.
Just set the sheet size at a comfortable 1-1.5m long for cutting accuracy, and it'll print cut calibration corners at that interval.

We're on 12.2 but I'd assume it's similar in 18.
It's slightly different in x10 and can screenshot if required.

unclebun

You have to do Conserve Media and also check the box for Best Fit and Allow Rotate.

Even then, there are certain files it will not auto rotate. Seems like if it contains bitmaps, transparencies, stuff like that it doesn't want to auto-rotate, though you can manually do it by right clicking the file and choosing job properties.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
View attachment 140193

Are you talking about the placement strategy? "Conserve Media" auto-rotates as needed (click on the gear icon to customise), and you can queue up as many jobs as you like.
We do this with large runs of labels all the time. No issues with cut lines etc. Can often queue up a few thousand at a time.
Just set the sheet size at a comfortable 1-1.5m long for cutting accuracy, and it'll print cut calibration corners at that interval.

We're on 12.2 but I'd assume it's similar in 18.
It's slightly different in x10 and can screenshot if required.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to achieve. I can't get it to auto-rotate at all - regardless of if I open in job editor or not. Either way I need to manually rotate files if they need it, otherwise it stalls on "Waiting for media: size" forever.

Are you skipping Job editor for it to apply the auto-rotate? Or should it matter? Even using conserve media, and best fit /allow rotate checked off, I'm not getting any results.

Just an example of our workflow:

Say we're printing on a 4' x 8' sheet. We have some files that have to be rotated 90 degrees to fit (say 26" W x 78"H).
The most efficient way of doing this is either skipping job editor and telling it to rotate 90 degrees in the "open" dialogue box. This works fine for smaller jobs or jobs that only use one size.
Where this becomes a pain, is when we're trying to nest dozens of files and having to either write down all the dimensions and make notes so we know which ones to rotate, OR open each file in job editor, checking size, and manually rotating. I guess a third option would be to open all and skip job editor then manually rotate anything that stalls on the media size, but still - trying to automate this.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You have to do Conserve Media and also check the box for Best Fit and Allow Rotate.

Even then, there are certain files it will not auto rotate. Seems like if it contains bitmaps, transparencies, stuff like that it doesn't want to auto-rotate, though you can manually do it by right clicking the file and choosing job properties.

This is what I'm finding - but it 100% doesn't work for me. I'm going to try in 18.5 and ask the Onyx fella what he thinks.

unclebun

Test it with a really simple file--like just a colored rectangle, saved as an eps file. We find the inability to auto-rotate is file-dependent. They will auto-rotate about 80% of the time.

klingsdesigns

I have noticed a lot of bugs in the 18.5 postershop. Pretty annoying as versaworks was really well and free. I hope they fix most of the issues. Even the phone support said there were bugs and you just have to mess with it.

DrunknMonk

Its a bug in 18 / 18.5 we have to rotate manually for it to nest properly (only when using custom page sizes) Onyx tech said its been fixed in 19

CanuckSigns

Its a bug in 18 / 18.5 we have to rotate manually for it to nest properly (only when using custom page sizes) Onyx tech said its been fixed in 19

I bet, Onyx always tells you it's been fixed on the next version, which you have to pay thousands of $ for by the way.

There is no excuse for this, like you said, versaworks does it no problem at all, I would expect a more professional program that costs thousands of dollars to be able to do something that the free program can, but that is not the case.