Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AutoMark: The definite answer

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by OADesign, Nov 26, 2012.

1. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    Hi All,

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

So I have read all of the posts here that contain the phrase "automark". But I see the responses going either way. Its good, it not good, its ok on flat surfaces, its ok for contours but only short term.

I have a 04' Jeep Liberty (the roundy bubbly looking one) full wrap to do (its long term).

But I have this uneasy feeling about using the AutoMark products for it.

Anyone use this for complex / deep contours with success? And by success I don't mean looking good till it rolls out of your shop. I mean after a few months/years in (or ON in this case).

Side bar: Have any of you seen this new 3M Envison combo (480Cv3 & 8548G)?
    Features sounds good but they are TRIPPING on the prices.

Tags:
  2. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I have not seen pricing on the new 3M pricing what is the baseline they are asking for the material?

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I thought envision was just for lighted signs?

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
  5. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    To answer your original question, we've used a bit of automark, but never for a full wrap. If you are looking for a long term product, I would look elsewhere, it does shrink a bit.

There are other vinyls out there except 3M that will do the job, Oracal has a nice wrap combo, as does avery, both are a true cast material and will outlast the Automark, at a much better price than the 3M material.

6. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    We got a sample of the envision material a couple weeks ago. The print quality was terrible.

7. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    I just received a roll of IJ480 today. I plan on attempting to profile it on the HP L26500 and Roland printers (although I understand that the Roland inkset may be iffy for this material).

8. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    don't use it for a full wrap. it won't work.

doesn't do well in complex areas. Flat.. no problem.

Keep in mind after a year it is permanent

9. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Everyone here is talking about different products but the OP mentions automark, I assume this is the GF material that we use of box trucks; if so this is absolutely not what you would use on a liberty Nooooo. Box trucks, yes. With rivets, ok. A graphic on the side of a truck door? Might shrink a bit over time but OK. Jeep Liberty? Noooo!

10. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I only use auto mark on wraps that are flat, and will be removed within 9 months. Everything else gets cast.

11. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    Well...

I take that back. The price sheet I got was wrong. Glad I called. The price listed was for 100yds (Not 50 yds). Still quite a bit more expensive than the average. Still about $100 more per roll from my local vendors.

So now its either this combo, IJ480Cv3 & 8548G
    or this combo IJ180Cv3 & 8518. I think the latter is my best (safe) bet.

I think the hoopla of the product is its a Green Non-PVC product.

Please share your results! The product sheet says, "...Inkjet – latex, UV,
    some eco-solvent...

What does that mean? I have to pull the trigger today, but I still would like to hear the real deal about the Envision Product.

And thanks everyone for the tips on the AutoMark.

12. Merritt Big Color

Merritt Big Color Merchant Member

Envision Combo is a great product. It is a premium product and should be priced, sold and advertised that way. The non PVC is a great sell to the right market.

3M was kind enough to sponsor us with a few rolls to test, give feedback and a couple case studies.

The cinder wall was printed on HP LX 850 latex and installed on a 50 degree day.

The trailer was printed HP XL 1500 solvent.

Very impressed.

Attached Files:

13. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    OK, I successfully profiled for the Envision 480Cv3 on the HP L26500 latex (for Onyx and Wasatch). The media seems to receive the latex ink fairly well.

I plan on attempting to profile the 480 on a Roland with Eco Sol Max ink tomorrow (using Versaworks). Will keep the board appraised.

14. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Off topic but it's quite nice that Merrits installers covered the moldings. It's such an eye sore when they're cut out and left aluminum.

15. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Also off topic... how long is 480 supposed to last on cinder block?

16. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the 3M IJ380cV3 and the Envision 8548G combo.

Printing right now and the 380 looks good!