• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AutoMark: The definite answer

OADesign

Hi All,

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

So I have read all of the posts here that contain the phrase "automark". But I see the responses going either way. Its good, it not good, its ok on flat surfaces, its ok for contours but only short term.

I have a 04' Jeep Liberty (the roundy bubbly looking one) full wrap to do (its long term).

But I have this uneasy feeling about using the AutoMark products for it.

Anyone use this for complex / deep contours with success? And by success I don't mean looking good till it rolls out of your shop. I mean after a few months/years in (or ON in this case).

Side bar: Have any of you seen this new 3M Envison combo (480Cv3 & 8548G)?
Features sounds good but they are TRIPPING on the prices.

CanuckSigns

To answer your original question, we've used a bit of automark, but never for a full wrap. If you are looking for a long term product, I would look elsewhere, it does shrink a bit.

There are other vinyls out there except 3M that will do the job, Oracal has a nice wrap combo, as does avery, both are a true cast material and will outlast the Automark, at a much better price than the 3M material.

I just received a roll of IJ480 today. I plan on attempting to profile it on the HP L26500 and Roland printers (although I understand that the Roland inkset may be iffy for this material).

HulkSmash

don't use it for a full wrap. it won't work.

doesn't do well in complex areas. Flat.. no problem.

Keep in mind after a year it is permanent

Salmoneye

Everyone here is talking about different products but the OP mentions automark, I assume this is the GF material that we use of box trucks; if so this is absolutely not what you would use on a liberty Nooooo. Box trucks, yes. With rivets, ok. A graphic on the side of a truck door? Might shrink a bit over time but OK. Jeep Liberty? Noooo!

HulkSmash

I only use auto mark on wraps that are flat, and will be removed within 9 months. Everything else gets cast.

OADesign

Well...

I take that back. The price sheet I got was wrong. Glad I called. The price listed was for 100yds (Not 50 yds). Still quite a bit more expensive than the average. Still about $100 more per roll from my local vendors.

So now its either this combo, IJ480Cv3 & 8548G
or this combo IJ180Cv3 & 8518. I think the latter is my best (safe) bet.

I think the hoopla of the product is its a Green Non-PVC product.

I just received a roll of IJ480 today. I plan on attempting to profile it on the HP L26500 and Roland printers (although I understand that the Roland inkset may be iffy for this material).

Please share your results! The product sheet says, "...Inkjet – latex, UV,
some eco-solvent...

What does that mean? I have to pull the trigger today, but I still would like to hear the real deal about the Envision Product.

And thanks everyone for the tips on the AutoMark.

Envision Combo is a great product. It is a premium product and should be priced, sold and advertised that way. The non PVC is a great sell to the right market.

3M was kind enough to sponsor us with a few rolls to test, give feedback and a couple case studies.

The cinder wall was printed on HP LX 850 latex and installed on a 50 degree day.

The trailer was printed HP XL 1500 solvent.

Very impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 346.jpg
    346.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 449.jpg
    449.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 150
OK, I successfully profiled for the Envision 480Cv3 on the HP L26500 latex (for Onyx and Wasatch). The media seems to receive the latex ink fairly well.

I plan on attempting to profile the 480 on a Roland with Eco Sol Max ink tomorrow (using Versaworks). Will keep the board appraised.

johnnysigns

Off topic but it's quite nice that Merrits installers covered the moldings. It's such an eye sore when they're cut out and left aluminum.

OADesign

Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the 3M IJ380cV3 and the Envision 8548G combo.

Printing right now and the 380 looks good!