• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Average Design Time Question

LMHConcepts

I have just started working with a company a few months ago doing digital artwork for vehicle wraps, banners, logos, ect. Prior to the owners starting this company, they had never been involved with any design or printing companies. There prior graphic designer liked to steal photos and chop photos together, allowing him the ability to do designs faster than myself, who likes to be legal, and either use royalty free images, or create things from scratch. I am aware that different projects require different amounts of time, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what there average design time for banners, vehicle wraps, logos, ect are? I'm just trying to give my bosses an industry average so they better understand the time process involved.

Also, I am semi-new to vehicle wraps, and was wondering if anyone can offer any links or print describing the process involved in creation.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There is no industry average.

I worked at one of the busiest vehicle graphic shops in the area after being a grunt at another shop. I was shocked to see the designer and one part time designer cutting vinyl non-stop, 2-3 door layouts a day, One 40' trailor or wrap layout a day, while keeping the printer going and sending files to get large format graphics or screened graphics done... all this done on Windows 95.

I have designed logos in 5 minutes to 5 weeks, same with wraps. 4-6 hours might be okay to get ideas out for an approval, but there are times it has taken twice that amount of time.

On the wrap part, you might check out The Wrap Resource website. It's possible to design fast, (maybe not great) but you kinda have to see it in action to understand how it's done.

SignManiac

I'm pretty fast but I've been doing it most of my life. It's a double edged question. A banner that says FOR SALE, blah blah, takes about five minutes. A banner with an entire restaurant menu might take a good hour. An original design from idea to proof could take a day on a custom logo. I guess it all depends on what your mainstay work is in your shop?

Most everyone will differ on the amount of time, even on the same exact job specs. It comes down to how well you know your software "and" all the little secret tricks we have up our sleeves. So I don't think you will get a concrete answer to your question. I also think that if you have a time limit for any given task, that is going to affect the outcome and quality of the design you finally end up with.

I think an interesting experiment might be to do a design homework assignment like we often do here, and everyone time themselves, then post the results. It could even be a design already finished, and then see how long everyone takes to replicate it using the software they work with every day?

stephenj148

depends on the subject for design as well. sometimes you can get great ideas quickly, other times it takes a lot of time to get designs to your liking.

EbsWeb5150

I'm going through that myself.
For logos design with 3 different versions I'd want to say $150.00+changes
For a vehicle wrap just the design I want to say $300 with layout research time, photos purchased., and up + changes.
Tell them to buy BadWraps or a Mr.Clipart vehicle outline packages for proofing stages on wraps.
Banners around 45 min. a side design time.

And bring a magic wand, because everyone thinks its real simple to do.
I maybe be way off on my pricing but maybe its a start.
I also heard of average graphic designer at a agency gets an hr rate of $75.00
Who knows, I see people on Craig'slist wanting logos for $50.00

LMHConcepts

Thanks To everyone for the helpful answers. And sorry for all the gramatical errors, I'm typing this from my iPhone.

A random question, is anyone aware of any sign company or graphic design company jobs either in Orlando or Anaheim, CA? Or other jobs as an architectural model builder, fiber optics technician, or anything in a custom automotive shop (ie, west coast customs or any company like that)? I know, random jobs, eh... But hey, I love to learn new things. It's time for me to get outta Indiana!

dwt

Orlando is saturated with sign shops on every other corner. Price margins are getting thinner with every bid. If you want a crash course in survival of the fittest this is the place. I've been told that Texas has never slowed down. No state income tax there as well. If I had to start over that's where I would go.
My .02 anyway.