Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Average yearly revenue for sign shop

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by elitetech, Mar 21, 2020.

1. elitetech

elitetech Member

Dec 14, 2011
    MD
    Hi folks question. I've been renting my office from this lady in the back half of her store for the last 6 years and all my customers are
    those I picked up personally. It was a good time to really put all the piece together on my own pace but now I want to expand. I've found a good main street retail location and I'm phishing for any info in-regards to what an average sign shop total revenue is.. any idea?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    There are about a million factors....could be anywhere from $100k to millions. I would advise you talk to your accountant or a business mentor to walk you through this. As a side note - a main street retail location is going to be very high cost per sq ft. You may want to look at industrial locations. This depends on your customer mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Even though you have an existing business to gauge yourself by, I'd start with a well written and researched business plan that factors in the increased exposure, more space to work, equipment needs, market targets, etc..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    while shooting the breeze with a fstsigns person a couple years ago,
    he used the average of $750,000/yr

if i were guessing i would figure a store with no bucket truck, farming out installs would bring up the low end (my guess $450,000 -$500,000) and a location that installs, obviously the high end

he and i always argue, he says fastsigns teaches you to market signs, not manufacture. you can always farm out to another member of the fastsigns "family", it doesn't make any difference who does the install

i always reply it doesn't make any difference to him, corporate sells franchises, not signs, but it certainly makes a difference to the store owner. fastsigns teaches you a lot of ve

5. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    There is no average per se... It's spans the gamut

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    i think zendsvor signs is entirely correct. we are moving intoa 4300 sq ft warehouse location. it should open up alot of opportunities for work types we couldn't do in our tiny retail location

we have quite a bit of equipment just waiting for a large enough warehouse
    we never looked for walkins. our plan has always been to pursue the clients and type of clients we want

7. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Way too many factors to have an average.

You already are in business... what do you make now? Can you afford your new place on what you're currently making?

Your customer base isn't going to jump up just because you move to a new location - You may get a bunch of walk ins and tire kickers... but those usually cost you more than you make with them.

Location isn't the be-all-end-all. We do about $150-250,000 per month gross - way less net. So we're doing 50-100 different customer orders per day... I can count the number of times a client comes to pickup their product each day on 1 hand, most everything gets shipped... it all depends on your customer base, whether youre selling to other business's or selling to people off the street.

My advice - Stay where you are until your customer base is big enough to allow you to move. And only move so you have the space to buy more equipment, maybe get a boardroom for clients to come meet you in - Don't move to a new place expecting to get new customers just because you have a bigger building.... unless the clients you're going after are ones that want to see your shop, then walk away from you because they think you're current location is unprofessional.

• Like Like x 1