• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery 900 Supercast bad lot possibly?

34Ford

I just received some 900 Supercast sapphire blue from cutterpros and it is horrible.
I thought maybe it could be rubbed out but looking closely at it definitely shows its in the manufacturing.

Anyone had any luck getting help from Avery?

I sent them a email.

34Ford

Cutterpros.com Their answer to me was.
Yes, you can check with Avery. They may have a guarantee on the vinyl.
I guess that means they dont sell defective vinyl and Im bitching for the heck of it.

CanuckSigns

that answer would put me over the edge, tell them if they don't make it right, you will be looking for another supplier.

34Ford

I only needed enough to see if the sapphire blue is close to the azure blue Ford uses on their cars.
I have a customer wanting a tag for his Mustang and they were the only place I could find that sells under 10 yards.

Im not losing a lot of money but now I have to find another dealer or hope Avery can help me.

BTW, I am a Watson also.:thumb:

kanini

that answer would put me over the edge, tell them if they don't make it right, you will be looking for another supplier.
+1, why should you need to deal directly with Avery, if you buy a car you don't go to Ford headquarters when your radiator blows, you talk to the dealer. Same way, talk to your supplier and have them send you new material or sort this out (refund?).

34Ford

Well Im chatting with a girl on cutterpros now and she offered to refund the bad vinyl but its not cost effective for me to bother. So I asked if I could just send back the complete order which included some good King blue I bought and she said they dont take refunds on vinyl unless its defective.

Oh, and she agreed, the roll of sapphire blue she had was also blotchy. Said she was going to send it back to Avery.

So, my problem is where to find this color and not have to buy a 10 yard roll.

34Ford

Anyone seen anything this bad? Avery quality control at its best?

Attachments

• Avery-sapphire-blue-defect.jpg
    Avery-sapphire-blue-defect.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

Cale Frederick

We order small pieces like that from Alumapanel... They have Oracal and FDC. We get a lot of FDC 2100 series like this (small pieces, not defective).

Patentagosse

It happens all the time with Avery. I have a full roll of Process Blue 48" with a strip of 8" spotted like this. You can easily solve your problem by running the heatgun over it. It will turns glossy after few second. Just make sure not to over-heat the film otherwise bubbles will appear (like "boiling point"). Never got that kinda issue with Oracal or 3M.

If you have to deal with Avery, for whatever the reason, GOOD LUCK. It took me +8 months to get a refund after I did a job with cast materail that turned defective after 18 months (major shrinking issue, more than ¼" on 6" letters!). Film was rated 8 years... (wow!...)

Heatgun is your friend for this one. Lemme know how it ended up.

Patentagosse

I've been explained that it's when the film is still hot, it's been rolled a li'l too soon after process. The surface is marked by the contact with the backing. That's why heat can bring it back...

'Hope it helps

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It's called Mottling and happens to vinyl occasionally.
Heat and sunlight can make it go away sometimes but I would return it for a replacement roll.
It looks like Sh!t and I refuse to tell my customer it will eventually go away.
Your customer will think your selling him or her old crappy film...

S'N'S

I've had mottling, marks, creases, foreign objects, etc etc at some stage from every brand I've used. As mentioned, try heat for mottling.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
yepp... just heat it up or let it sit on the sun < lol its winter.

3m overlam's last yard or two looks the same

jkdbjj

Unfortunately, I've seen a few rolls of Avery with that same blotchiness lately. Very disappointing and frustrating. I ruined an entire wrap because of it. Fortunately they (avery) honored a new roll of material.

msheurs

ive gone thru a couple rolls of the gloss black that had that. like they said heat gets rid of it and you dont notice it after its on the car and out in natural light. after that the sun takes care of the rest.

34Ford

Oh I hope this heat gun thing works. You guys have me wanting to leave work to try this.

I noticed also that there was some pin holes in this vinyl when I took the pic.
I think 3M also has a sapphire blue but I cant buy 10yd rolls just to do a car tag.

This is the color I am trying to match.

Attachments

• 1954post-6-1089907498_edited.jpg
    1954post-6-1089907498_edited.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator: