• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery certified? Good or bad?

ironchef

Signed up for the justin pate 2 day work shop with avery, also will be taking the avery exam to get certified. Anyone here certified by them? Any suggestions?

Mf

I've heard it's worth it. Also heard they look at a few aspects of setting your cut to judge technique. Just hear say. I'd like to know how you like the class, wouldn't mind taking his class

ExecuPrintGS

Had a former co-worker I keep in touch with take it. He said they had 3 different vehicles they showed techniques on, class work, shop work and exam. Exam you got a section of one of the vehicles and had x amount of time to complete the section. They judged completeness and how well it was done. Also a cut test. They laid 2 pieces of vinyl one on the other and had you just cut the top layer.
He took a ton away from it, though he didn't pass the cert. test.

good luck, I was very jealous he got to go, sounds like he learned a lot and said it was worth it.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Learning techniques from experienced professionals in your trade is ALWAYS a good thing. Take what you like from it and leave the rest. Certification only helps in the eyes of potential customers and NEVER hurts you.
I see no cons to it...only Pros.
PS...Justin Pate has plenty of experience and a lot to offer as far as technique.

worthy1

Learning techniques from experienced professionals in your trade is ALWAYS a good thing. Take what you like from it and leave the rest. Certification only helps in the eyes of potential customers and NEVER hurts you.
I see no cons to it...only Pros.
PS...Justin Pate has plenty of experience and a lot to offer as far as technique.

+1

Hands on is way better then youtube training :Big Laugh

Also, It is a good chance for you to also ask any questions you have built up from previous installs. Justin just finished a tour here in Australia, although i couldnt get to one of his sessions myself, they were booked out really quick and the feedback was also really good. I would jump at the chance to get over there and do a certification by him!

the graphics co

I did the certification testing last year, for the price you can't beat it, when i took the class they gave you (shipped to your shop) 25yds of either sw900 or 1005 w/1360 laminate, your choice, as well as a bunch of tools. I took one of my installers to the class, and took the certification on my own. There are a lot of things you can learn that you would never think about otherwise. Justin Pate is an excellent teacher and i would recommend the class to anyone.

ironchef

Thanks for all the replies, i took the supreme wrapping one day class with him before, it was really good, so im going back for more. Its under a grand for the 2 day class, exam plus a design class by someone else. All info is on averys website.

ProWraps

Thanks for all the replies, i took the supreme wrapping one day class with him before, it was really good, so im going back for more. Its under a grand for the 2 day class, exam plus a design class by someone else. All info is on averys website.

i look at it like this.

if i get the chance to hire a qualified installer for a job and he is good and i am good, we both share techniques that each other didnt know.

anytime you can be around other installers that are good at what they do, if you pick up one, or maybe two or three new techniques that make you faster and/or better. its a good day.

i would say if you can afford it and want to go do it, do it. enjoy it. make good contacts, learn a few things, show a few things and come away a better installer than you were when you went into it.

win/win. we can as humans only do and think so much. its when we get into groups of like minded individuals that we thrive.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
LOL I just did a 1 day "advanced supreme wrap Training" focused on "Paint Wraps" with Justin via Avery. Reason....
$250 which included $700 worth of Material...no brainer for me.

ProWraps

yeah i heard you get a bunch of stuff that easily makes up for the initial cost.

just curious on the training part...

how was it? that seems to me like a great class to take with all the color change and chrome calls we get but turn down because im not really focused on the color change stuff.
would be interesting to learn some good techniques and start mining these jobs.

HulkSmash

If you're not well versed on wraps, it could only be a benefit for you. Once you learn the right technique people typically end up making up their own that works better for them.
But it's good to build off what a professional shows you.

good luck

Pat Whatley

Certification only helps in the eyes of potential customers and NEVER hurts you.

While I completely agree that any training is a good thing and constantly learning how to be better is one of the keys to success the "certification" thing has always been curious to me.

Who really cares about an Avery certification? 3M I understand simply because of brand recognition but Avery? or Fellers? If you really think a certification is pulling in customers can't you just certify yourself? Is any potential customer going to take the time to look up what exactly the difference is between 3M Certified, Avery Certified, and Signs 101 Certified? To me it just seems like another "Member BBB, Member Chamber of Commerce, Member Downtown Business Association" sticker in the shop window.

So tell me, am i missing something? I'm not arguing, I'm actually asking.

ProWraps

While I completely agree that any training is a good thing and constantly learning how to be better is one of the keys to success the "certification" thing has always been curious to me.

Who really cares about an Avery certification? 3M I understand simply because of brand recognition but Avery? or Fellers? If you really think a certification is pulling in customers can't you just certify yourself? Is any potential customer going to take the time to look up what exactly the difference is between 3M Certified, Avery Certified, and Signs 101 Certified? To me it just seems like another "Member BBB, Member Chamber of Commerce, Member Downtown Business Association" sticker in the shop window.

So tell me, am i missing something? I'm not arguing, I'm actually asking.

as far as what interests me in any of these programs is the knowledge gained from being around some of the other great installers in the industry. if nothing more than to go and learn a thing here or two, for the price paid, its money well spent.

Pat Whatley

as far as what interests me in any of these programs is the knowledge gained from being around some of the other great installers in the industry. if nothing more than to go and learn a thing here or two, for the price paid, its money well spent.

That I understand completely.

Seano32

Here is my 2 cents on Avery certification. I am both 3m preferred and Avery certified. I found the 3m testing to be more challenging and having more value for the installer. I went for the just the avery test and out of 12 "installers" there only three of us passed and I personally completed the course in 3 hours verse 3m test was two days and you had to have an 80% or higher average on all tests to pass.
The 3m preferred has gotten me more leads and jobs than avery ever has. Justin Pate is a great installer and if you can spend some time talking with him you will find he spends more time overseas installing different types of vinyl more often than Avery.