• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Matte 2920 Peeling Problem! Help.

Cmiller01

Printer
Hi All,
We have been using Avery products for years, and occasionally get something that comes off of its sign. Lately, its been more and more. We use the Avery MPI 2920, and we print on Mimakis. We overlam the vinyl with a matte UV Laminate to protect it. It seems all the things we have peeling off on their own is on sintra material and they are darker colors. The heat on the printers is as high as we can go without making the material wrinkle, and the vinyl seems perfectly tacky before we apply it. We always clean our boards with laquer thinner to remove any oils that may be on the sintra. Anyone else have any of these problems??

Cmiller01

Printer
maybe 12 hours, sometimes quicker than that for laminating. I know you are supposed to wait at least 24hrs after printing, but we've never had issues before.... We use Alpha AVLLM61 Lam.

We were thinking this might be the problem, other than that Im out of ideas! We also seem to be having some shrinking problems with the vinyl sometimes, but I think thats more due to the weather.

Sticky Signs

Laquer sounds like a really bad idea.
how are you applying the vinyl? Wet, dry? By hand or with a laminator? Sometimes people forget that you have to use pressure to activate the adhesive in Pressure Sensitive Vinyl.

Cmiller01

Printer
We apply it dry, by hand. We have done it this way for as long as I can remember, and have never had the problem we are having now. Its only peeling on sintra items, and on items that are darker colors. Im thinking it is the time we we wait before laminating the vinyl above eveything else, but we got some alcohol yesterday to try instead of the laquer, so we are going to try to wait the 24hrs and use the alcohol and see if that helps. Any other ideas greatly appreciated :)

bobvtx

We've been using 2923 and 2923EZ for about 3 years, and lately it won't stick to anything. It peels off Sintra, & Gatorfoam and it doesn't matter whether it's laminated or not. We're switching to 3M since it's costing us too much in redos.

Salmoneye

No way on the mineral spirits, way too oily. Alcohol is a lat safer to deal with too, I know lots use 70% but that leaves residue in my exp, we always use 90% or more.