• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery MPI 1005 Supercast ez rs printing problems

krimol

I just bought my first roll of Avery supercast ez rs ltr. I've heard great things about it at shows. So far about $75. worth is in the trash. It's printing awful. I'm using the correct profile. At first I thought it was my printer (Roland VP540i), so I did a thorough cleaning. Did some more bad printing and realized the problem areas are where the media has touched something already. I've seen this happen usually at the beginning of a roll... you can see someones fingerprints or where the tape was etc. This is showing a line where the pinch rollers are!! Also, I flipped it back to put in another print that was ready to be cut. It was only flipped back for maybe an hour. I put it back in and printed and there's a big noticeable line where the flip was. It wasn't creased or anything. Anyone else having problems printing on this stuff? It's extremely touchy... no pun intended. Thanks--Krim

never had a problem with it...and have used it alot of times........we also have a vp540i.

we preferred the standard vw profile for glossy material rather than the downloaded one from avery.

Letterbox Mike

We found the new LTR stuff is extremely sensitive to heat, much much more so than the previous iteration of 1005EZrs. If you're seeing roller marks, more than likely your heat is too high, try turning it down until the marks go away.

HulkSmash

We had a roll where the ink wasnt laying right, and the print was like leaving holes in it. Got a new roll (For free) prints fine. Im not sure about your printer but you want the heaters at around 45ish

Letterbox Mike

We had a roll where the ink wasnt laying right, and the print was like leaving holes in it. Got a new roll (For free) prints fine. Im not sure about your printer but you want the heaters at around 45ish

45? Wow, on our Epson we have to run it at about 36 max or we get buckling and head strikes. Just goes to show you how different every printer is...

HulkSmash

our printer has 3 settings. The feed, print, and drier. Typically its 45-40-45.

but im getting my latex's tomorrow :)

were running it at about 40-42 and have no probs.......

good luck with your new toy colorado......there a good machine and a great price right now!!

krimol

Thanks a lot for the replies. My printer has a print heat and a dryer heat. The print heat was at 36 and the dryer heat was at 40. I didn't know there was an "LTR" until the box came and I thought I got the wrong stuff. I was thinking maybe I got a bad roll. It seemed like if I kept it moving, it was ok, but if I stopped for anything and restarted there was problems. I haven't had this happen with any other media and I don't know if I should buy it again, it was such a nightmare. Thanks---Krim

stanssign

Avery Supercast 1005 EZ RS issues

I just bought my first roll of Avery supercast ez rs ltr. I've heard great things about it at shows. So far about $75. worth is in the trash. It's printing awful. I'm using the correct profile. At first I thought it was my printer (Roland VP540i), so I did a thorough cleaning. Did some more bad printing and realized the problem areas are where the media has touched something already. I've seen this happen usually at the beginning of a roll... you can see someones fingerprints or where the tape was etc. This is showing a line where the pinch rollers are!! Also, I flipped it back to put in another print that was ready to be cut. It was only flipped back for maybe an hour. I put it back in and printed and there's a big noticeable line where the flip was. It wasn't creased or anything. Anyone else having problems printing on this stuff? It's extremely touchy... no pun intended. Thanks--Krim
We have been using Avery Supercast 1005 EZ RS for over 3 years. We never experienced any issues until the last month or so. Very frustrating!! Head strikes, media buckling, pinch wheel strikes and install techs are saying that if it folds over on itself it is nearly impossible to pull the film apart. We "loved" this film before and hope the issue is corrected. I am the print operator and nothing has changed on my end. Same profile, heat settings, and very clean work environment.

Bly

The last couple of rolls sure seem to be more sensitive to heat settings.
We started getting coalescence especially in the first couple of metres when starting a print job.
I brought it up with my supplier and he gave us suggested HP latex settings which seem to have solved the problem at this stage.
I was ready to ditch the brand and move to 3M which wasn't very appealing since 3M charge a big premium here.

Here are the L25500/26500 heat settings:
12 pass mode - you may have to adjust slightly for quicker modes.
Drying temp: 53
Curing temp: 108
Substrate adv comp: 0.0
Vacuum: 25
Warmup drying temp offset: 0
Warmup curing temp offset: 0
Cool-down drying temp offset: 0
Cool-down curing temp offset: 0
min drying power: 0.7
Heat airflow: 45
Input tension: 15

Bly

Actually disregard that last post.
There has been a problem with the last 3 rolls - it's nothing to do with the heat settings.
I did a check print on some older stock and it prints perfectly.
I rang my dealer and told him in no uncertain terms I wanted a replacement roll from a different batch.