Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avery optically clear laminate issue

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Mar 8, 2019.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I had first ordered a roll of this laminate last fall and when there was about 5-8 yards left on the roll there were these continuosu tears or rips right about centre of the material all the way to the end. I threw the roll aside and figured this is an isolated incident. Today I am finishing a second roll of the same laminate and again at what looks like about 8 yards left the same thing is happening making the laminate useless. I am going to contact my rep, but wonder...there is no way I got two of these rolls 3 or 4 months apart and was the only person seeing this?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

We haven't had that problem, but we did get a roll that had dull marks at a certain point for 10 yards in. We called Grimco, they pro-rated the amount off the price of a replacement roll and picked up the bad one.

3. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Oh I figured it out!!! not an Avery issue... I use an old Gerber double roller to pull the laminate off the roll for short runs and it seems to be somehow tearing the laminate, although I can't see how as they are rubber and it never happens on 3ml or 3m 2ml. That stuff must be awfully sensitive..

4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The DOL1360 is thinner, at something like 1.3 mil.