• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery & Oracal Cast

J

john1

Hey guys, I have been using alot of Avery Supercast Cast Cut Vinyl lately and noticed that even though it's opaque, You go to apply lets say yellow over black and the yellow turns super super dark and makes the color look terrible.

Is this something with Avery cast cut vinyl or is all cast cut vinyls like this now? I never noticed it before but have a customer wanting racing stripes and don't want the color to look terrible when i apply it since the vehicle is a dark blue.

The only cast Oracal vinyl i have used is black and brilliant blue and it seemed fine.

Maybe i need to use Oracal for this job over the Avery that i use just because my local supplier stocks only Avery and Oracal comes from Fellers which i order only on certain occasions.

Thanks!

Graphics2u

Some opaque color vinyls are somewhat semi-transparent, just the way it is, all brands.
+1 I have noticed the same thing with 3M Cast in the past. They had a color called Cranberry which you'd think being a darker red it would be fairly opaque. But if you put that over white and over black it was 2 totally different colors. You may just have to not overlay those colors.

J

john1

Is there something i can look at the product sheet and tell before i say i can do the job? This is a real pain in the butt as calendered vinyls don't have this problem but i don't use calendered on vehicles anymore.

The color I'm concerned about is process magenta c (hot pink) as it's for a girls vehicle.

Graphics2u

Is there something i can look at the product sheet and tell before i say i can do the job? This is a real pain in the butt as calendered vinyls don't have this problem but i don't use calendered on vehicles anymore.

The color I'm concerned about is process magenta c (hot pink) as it's for a girls vehicle.
Think you'll just have to test the colors, or do something that always has a white underbase color.

J

john1

That's what i thought, The Avery cast has a white under base on the process colors so that would work good right?

thewvsignguy

Hey John, make sure your color has the Gray backer, the color won't shift then. Or tell them in the future that lighter colors without the Gray backer will make the color shift.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In the newest Avery color chart - the 900 Ultimate Cast has a white pigmented adhesive on certain colors. They have a few colors like that and the Pantone Process Magenta C happens to be one of them.

J

john1

Thanks guys! I have a super old Avery chart, hell i have probably 5 or so from 5 years ago lol

RobbyMac

Avery's catalog has the swatches on clear, so you can put the swatch over another color to see how opaque it is.

We usually end up laminating the color to white... But it's something we are aware of, so cost is taken into account up front.