• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Vinyl

steve.leleaux

We went through over $55,000 of avery vinyl in roughly 2 years and when we started having problems with it spent 3 weeks trying to contact them. They never returned a call or responded to an email or even a comment on their own website. We switched to 3M and avoid Avery as much as possible. It's worth a little more money in some cases knowing your products will last.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Avery vinyl might be fine, and they may have corrected the manufacturing flaws they had a few years ago.

That does NOTHING to correct the fact that they ruined a whole lot of businesses, forced people to fight to get pennies on the dollar out of the "warranty", and essentially went with an "ignore it and it will go away" plan of action when things went wrong.

There are plenty of other vinyl companies out there, I'd suggest trying any of those.

:goodpost:

WrapperX

Wow - I've never heard such distaine for Avery all in one spot. I've used Avery products fopr the last 7 years from A4 to A9 for di cut applications and never had ANY problems and I've been using the 1005 series from plain old 1005 all the way up to 1005 EZ RS Super Cast for wraps and again gave never had any problems with longevity or any complications. Having used all versions of 1005 I LOVE the Super Cast EZRS. I don't mind using the 3M cast wrapping CV3 but I prefer Avery Night and Day over 3M. I just don't like the way it handles and its repositionability. Plus it smells funny. To be honest we only had one time where the 1005 was an issue and that was when we printed almost an entire run on a roll that was missing the adhesive layer - basically there was a stretch of about 40' where there was NO Adhesive. We noticed while we were letting it sit to out gas. We looked at it and said somethings not right. Sure enough I pulled it away from the backing paper and it there was no gray, no nothing. Just plasic. We called AVERY they sent us a new roll and covered the ink costs as well. So no complaints here.

J

john1

I have used Avery cal and cast vinyl for over 5 years now and have had ZERO issues. I'm not sure why so many claim to have issues. I don't and even on 3 year reflective from them...It's been holding up good as new for about 5 years now and i even wet applied it!

Mosh

Sure beats paying for that darned expensive 3M stuff.

you get what you pay for!

Plus it smells funny

Smells like a sign shop to me...

I have used Avery and had NO problems with it, I have signs up that are facing west with 3M and are 20+ years old and still
lookin' good..I am just saying....

ProWraps

im a huge 3M fan. use it religously, and i can say with confidence, its becoming a piece of shit as of late.

i have never seen so many problems with stuff in the adhesive (i have plenty of pics if anyone wants to see them) that have lead to us haveing to reprint quite a bit.

coupled with the fact that our 3M rep is all but a worthless non existent entitiy that could care less, we may be ditching 3M VERY SHORTLY.

cmaxdesigns

Wow - I've never heard such distaine for Avery all in one spot. I've used Avery products fopr the last 7 years from A4 to A9 for di cut applications and never had ANY problems and I've been using the 1005 series from plain old 1005 all the way up to 1005 EZ RS Super Cast for wraps and again gave never had any problems with longevity or any complications. Having used all versions of 1005 I LOVE the Super Cast EZRS. I don't mind using the 3M cast wrapping CV3 but I prefer Avery Night and Day over 3M. I just don't like the way it handles and its repositionability. Plus it smells funny. To be honest we only had one time where the 1005 was an issue and that was when we printed almost an entire run on a roll that was missing the adhesive layer - basically there was a stretch of about 40' where there was NO Adhesive. We noticed while we were letting it sit to out gas. We looked at it and said somethings not right. Sure enough I pulled it away from the backing paper and it there was no gray, no nothing. Just plasic. We called AVERY they sent us a new roll and covered the ink costs as well. So no complaints here.

I would have to completely agree with your statement. We have used both Avery and 3M and prefer Avery on every application over the 3M. The EZRS vinyl is so easy to work with, sticks great and we have had no complaints yet. Everyone has their opinion so you should try them both out and see what works best for you.

ProWraps

here is the almost daily occurences with 3m. wasted an entire roll today with this sh*t all through the roll AGAIN.

their quality control is nill at this point as far as im concerned. i will be exploring other options.

this is also not a common lot (its been happening for months now), nor is it a common vendor (i buy from several).

we print miles of vinyl. i can say with 100% confidence, we NEVER see this with any other manufacturers vinyl. we print quite a bit of oracal and arlon (for other things than vehicle wraps).

many of the rolls we get, this "occurence" is all through the roll an even distance from each occurence.

they clearly have a problem with one or more of their machines that is causing quite a few recurring problems with their product.

i guess long story short, avery scares the absolute sh*t out of me. and im 100% ready to give it a shot.

Attachments

• 3m1.JPG
    3m1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 3m2.JPG
    3m2.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 3m3.JPG
    3m3.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

CentralSigns

looks like someone crapped on your adhesive, at the plant. Its' not a middle east product is it, hate is deep there.

Jillbeans

I've just spent 15 minutes looking for my avery failure pix (I have several) but can't find them.
This was for cut vynull not print.
The only thing I could find was from 2007 which was 2 years after the summer of failure.
This was roll striping, I bought it from a place which I thought sold 3M (restylers choice) and this was after one week of being on the vehicle.

Attachments

• avery2.jpg
    avery2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 97

RobbyMac

We use Avery almost exclusively for wraps. Alot of 3m for edge print and smaller decals.
Aside from a bad period in 2008 when it seemed every other avery roll I loaded was scratched, we've not had issues with it like alot of people here have.
Whenever we had a bad roll, it was returned/replaced. It took a bit of time recording info and such, but we always got reimbursed.
We keep logs of material used on our wraps, so if any issues come up in the future, we can reference which roll it came off of. We've not had any customers returning with faulty vinyl.

Malkin

im a huge 3M fan. use it religously, and i can say with confidence, its becoming a piece of as of late.

i have never seen so many problems with stuff in the adhesive (i have plenty of pics if anyone wants to see them) that have lead to us haveing to reprint quite a bit.

coupled with the fact that our 3M rep is all but a worthless non existent entitiy that could care less, we may be ditching 3M VERY SHORTLY.

Oh good, we are not the only ones then.
All kinds of stuff in the adhesive, including dirt on occasion. And then there's the contamination on the surface that become apparent after printing.

seems like 10-15 percents of the rolls I used in the last year had these issues. The good rolls would be fine the whole way through.

ProWraps

Oh good, we are not the only ones then.
All kinds of stuff in the adhesive, including dirt on occasion. And then there's the contamination on the surface that become apparent after printing.

seems like 10-15 percents of the rolls I used in the last year had these issues. The good rolls would be fine the whole way through.

excatly what you said. THANK GOD we are not the only ones. what you are descibing is EXACTLY what we are experiencing. all the time. im finished with it.

i will be exploring mactac and avery.

Malkin

excatly what you said. THANK GOD we are not the only ones. what you are descibing is EXACTLY what we are experiencing. all the time. im finished with it.

i will be exploring mactac and avery.

Our experiences have all been using v3 (I know you use v1) but it seems much the same. We don't do much wrapping, but use it for anything printed that needs to be cast.

It's so frustrating because I really like the 3M... and it's hard to get compensation when I need to get work out the door so I use as much of the roll as possible, though I have been keeping the junk prints.

Maybe I'll check out the Oracal equivalent for the next one...

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
It is a fascinating subject, this Avery issue.

Down here nearer to the South Pole, I've been using Avery stuff for 11 years, and have not had a failure yet. I also like 3M, but very few suppliers I can access carry it anymore, I've found.

On the other hand, I've nicknamed most of the Oracal we've occasionally sed from Oracal to Horror-cal for the pains it has put me though...but no problems at all with the big A !

Maybe the Avery stuff that came downunder was not the batch of shrinking stuff that the northern hemisphere seemed to get...

B-RAD Graphics

im a huge 3M fan. use it religously, and i can say with confidence, its becoming a piece of shit as of late.

Hey PROWRAPS..I would like to see some pics...as I have used 3M for a good bit of my wraps..I have a few complaints about gloss lam 8518..not lasting looling like matte now...but I had my truck wrapped for 5yrs and took car of it and lasted....just took of getting ready start new marketing campaign....but please fill me in with the failures u are having..

thank you in advance :thumb: