• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Vinyl

hardrockwraps

Avery vinyl. I need some pros and cons. Ive heard a lot of great things about it and also some very negatives about it. Any help please?

gabagoo

me personally only use A6 and have not had problems. if you need a cast run far away from what has been said on this site

Pat Whatley

Avery vinyl might be fine, and they may have corrected the manufacturing flaws they had a few years ago.

That does NOTHING to correct the fact that they ruined a whole lot of businesses, forced people to fight to get pennies on the dollar out of the "warranty", and essentially went with an "ignore it and it will go away" plan of action when things went wrong.

There are plenty of other vinyl companies out there, I'd suggest trying any of those.

Custom Bob

I'd take a bullet before I'd ever use Avery again.
I don't take second chances when the first one cost me a lot of money.
I'll stick ( no pun intended ) with Oracal.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Most folks who followed the debacle of five to six years ago realize that not only did Avery not stand behind their product in an honest way, they also continued to distribute product they knew to be bad at the expense of the sign companies that bought it in good faith. This went on for about a year causing the failures of their film to be widespread instead of a few isolated incidents. The affected sign companies watched while their reputations were adversely affected and Avery claimed there was no problem or it had to be the fault of the installers. Avery has never, to my knowledge, owned up to what happened and has never even apologized.

My company has not purchased an Avery product since then and will continue to avoid them like the plague. It is a matter of principle.

petepaz

i have always heard all the negative about avery but (knock wood) never had any problems
i don't go out of my way to use it but sometimes only avery has the color that i need
and they do have one product that i use that is great there high tac adhesive vinyl
that stuff sticks to anything

Marlene

why do you ask? is there a real need for an Avery color that can't be found anywhere else? I can't see any other reason to want to use it. if you need a color, try Oracal as they have some nice ones. 3M or Gerber vinyl is the best in my opinion but they haven't upgraded their colors since the 80's and it looks it. you can't get any nice soft greens, yellows or the more nature type colors.

AUTO-FX

The heck with Avery
+1 for Oracal, I really like their products- I try to use Oracal as much as I can

I have some applications though, like OEM reproduction stripe kits, where the customers really like to see 3M across the backing paper, and i use the 3M IJ180/8518 wrap films.

W

wetgravy

Most folks who followed the debacle of five to six years ago realize that not only did Avery not stand behind their product in an honest way, they also continued to distribute product they knew to be bad at the expense of the sign companies that bought it in good faith. This went on for about a year causing the failures of their film to be widespread instead of a few isolated incidents. The affected sign companies watched while their reputations were adversely affected and Avery claimed there was no problem or it had to be the fault of the installers. Avery has never, to my knowledge, owned up to what happened and has never even apologized.

My company has not purchased an Avery product since then and will continue to avoid them like the plague. It is a matter of principle.

a shop i was working with had a batch of failing vinyl (a set of 33 fleet vehicles ... ouch.) and had all their vinyl warrentied. We went to the distributor and not the company ... had more pull with avery and got good batches. While we technically lost money on the re-installing of good vinyl in man hours ... our reputation wasn't harmed. It just takes good customer service skills and an attempt to correct any wrongs in a timely manner. I still did 3 new fleet vehicles for that company per week even though that issue arose, and of course the occasional fleet vehicle that didn't have time to get the vinyl replaced since it was in the field.

As far avery goes, I personally haven't had any problems with them since all the problems were before my time in the business (still freelancing graphic design at that time) ... i use orcal and avery as every day vinyl.

As with all companies there are benefits and draw backs ... with orcal metallics i get rolls with banding in metallic "pattern", 3m is drastically expensive (and worth it ... customers just don't want to pay for it), arlon's life is about a year or two shorter than what they say it will last, etc. My only issue with avery is that its trying to make intermediate vinyls last as long as high perfomance vinyls and trying to charge the same amount ... and we all know how intermediates shrink over time leaving that adhesive halo around the vinyl.

Techman

I had one roll that I showed to a number of installers.

It had shrunk at least 1/2 inch on each end. I was told it never happened when I called about it before any of this went public. That partial roll sat in my place for a long time afterwords waiting for the day to show its face. But later on every one knew about the deceptions going on.

Border

I got on Avery's back so bad that they not only warrantied the failed vinyl, but they actually paid me quite well for labor AND sent money directly to my 3M Gerber supplier so that I could replace all the bad avery with 3M vinyl.

I'm quite confident that my actions personally cost Avery more than a few million dollars in lost sales. It made me feel all warm inside.
I still glow just a little when I think about it, especially since they had actually told me that my business, my loss and my company was not big enough to matter to them in the big picture. It was a real pleasure when their top execs actually called me and pleaded for me to stop my negative ad campaign.

Yea, I won't even buy any Avery envelope labels. ever...

petrosgraphics

the fact that they did little to compensate me for my labor, just wanted to give me

more product, turned me completely away from them.....

it would make good fly paper, the only problem would be,if the little bugs were able to

stay alive long enough to see it shrink down they would then be able to fly away..