• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

awning cover up?

petepaz

first off i have not been to the site so i have not seen or touched or examined this yet. customer wanted to cover up the old lettering with new and i suggested using a decal it would be approx 7" x 60" didn't think that would be too much of a hassle. now they come back and want to cover the entire strip that goes across the bottom. i don't think i can put that on straight or with out wrinkles. i am not sure how i could keep the flap flat so i could apply a decal that long. it's approx 16ft. now i am wondering if this is something i could try painting? (maybe just no-bid this one) figured i would come to the all knowing oracle (that's where you people come in) for advise...????

Attachments

• awning senza gluten (4).jpg
    awning senza gluten (4).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 87

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow........ looks like the building needs a coat of paint, too.

I'd clamp a few boards to the backside, roller paint with latex the front skirt in the color of their choice and then hand paint whatever they want on there.

Also, you could have an awning place rip that one off and sew a new skirt, already lettered right on and be done with it.

People always think patching things should be cheap. They ain't, so don't give it away. :thumb:

reQ

I'd clamp a few boards to the backside, roller paint with latex the front skirt in the color of their choice and then hand paint whatever they want on there.

Yup, its what i did with 4x60 ft awning - cleaned it good and painted it with latex paint (customer did not want to re-skin it). Was done over 3 years ago and still look awesome. No paint peeling or anything. Just make sure its cleaned properly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
also thought about doing it in sections

Well, yes, you wouldn't put up 30' of boards at once. It could be dangerous. I'd clamp a 4' to 6' piece at a time and keep moving it down as I go. You'll need a little scrubby brush to fill in cleanly around the threads and hems.

petepaz

cool thanks ( i knew the oracle wouldn't let me down...haha)

based on the weather painting wouldn't be an issue?
(big shocker they are looking to get this done asap, don't know why everyone waits till the last minute)

Marlene

how hard would it be to replace those sections of the awning with new panels? it looks nasty as is and patched over won't help the look much. new panels might help clean up the look of the place as it has a run down feel to it

petepaz

how hard would it be to replace those sections of the awning with new panels? it looks nasty as is and patched over won't help the look much. new panels might help clean up the look of the place as it has a run down feel to it

that would be the right way to do it but i can only suggest to the customer and they do what they want not what's right.

Marlene

that would be the right way to do it but i can only suggest to the customer and they do what they want not what's right.

yep, that sure is true. since they are using it to advertise the business, you'd think they would want to look nice but they hardly ever see the value of that

Gino

Premium Subscriber

That's what I was suggesting, also. Think about it.

An awning guy provides you with a skirt to decorate as agreed by you and the customer. You get it ready in the comfort of your shop. Then, he goes out there and has that awning removed in 1/2 hour, takes it back, rips the old portion off, sews your new lettered one on and puts it back up. Their time can't be more than two or so hours and your time maybe and hour or so, plus you time on here. That should end up being less than your time on site setting up, blanking out, let dry, go back and paint in new copy..... plus you'd be outside the whole time.... Mmmmmmmm. Be about a $650 to $750 job and be done right. Can you honestly give them a patch job for close to that and last as long as new ??

Marlene

That's what I was suggesting, also. Think about it.

An awning guy provides you with a skirt to decorate as agreed by you and the customer. You get it ready in the comfort of your shop. Then, he goes out there and has that awning removed in 1/2 hour, takes it back, rips the old portion off, sews your new lettered one on and puts it back up. Their time can't be more than two or so hours and your time maybe and hour or so, plus you time on here. That should end up being less than your time on site setting up, blanking out, let dry, go back and paint in new copy..... plus you'd be outside the whole time.... Mmmmmmmm. Be about a $650 to $750 job and be done right. Can you honestly give them a patch job for close to that and last as long as new ??

if that is too much for them, printing on vinyl banner material and rigging that up would look better than a patch. if the area was nice looking you could do a contrasting patch to make it look intentional, but that area looks beat up

Wow........ looks like the building needs a coat of paint, too.

Also, you could have an awning place rip that one off and sew a new skirt, already lettered right on and be done with it.

People always think patching things should be cheap. They ain't, so don't give it away. :thumb:

That's what my vote would be for ^^^^ Paint is going to come off after awhile on that, and you will see shading where the old copy is. Vinyl would be a pain and you would also see ghosting of the old copy underneath. Replace. Or give them the print and have them install.

Billct2

That awning looks like cr*p. but then again so does the whole storefront.
I'd suggest a whole new awning in a new color and a coat of complementary paint on the store front.

It would completely revitalize the place, tell them it's what "Restaurant Impossible" would do.

Rocco G

As usual, I'm late to the party.

Back in the dark ages, we would take Block Out white and tint it with One Shot to approximate the color of the background. Then we would give it a final coat of paint before lettering, but we also had to fend off the occasional saber toothed tiger while painting. :p

Now, I'd tell them to get a new cover, or even a whole new awning. Patching up old junk is often harder than starting from scratch.

BTW, is this is that "special" area of Trenton NJ? That fence looks really familiar.

petepaz

gave them all the options and recommendations. their final decision ...i am making them decals and they are going to install them. told them no warranty on anything. they are ok with that but i am still waiting for artwork so maybe they smartened up and hired an awning guy