• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Awning Signage

GeneralJR

Hello, I'm having a problem with an awning sign and would to like to know if someone can help....

Here is the deal, I have to put a 2'x9', 3 colors logo on an awning that is made of some type of fabric, nylon, or whatever you call those, I am not sure. I tried to use a small version of the logo on cut vinyl but it didn't stick to it, as I tought, so vinyl cut is out.

I noticed the next door neighboor painted their logo on their awning, but their logo is very simple and use only 2 colors. I dont want to paint this logo because is more complex and I am not a painter.

Next I tought of print and cut the logo on a Heat Transfer material, like the Sojar from Fellers, and install it on the awning just like I normally do with Tshirts, I think it would work fine as it is a fabric like material. The only difference is that I would heat transfer it using a flat iron instead of heat presser.

My question is: Have anybody done that before? Is there a better option? Is there a different material?

Your opnion will be greatly appreciate.

Thank You

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You really need to identify the material first.

I highly doubt a heat transfer will work. You might be able to cut a fabric adhesive backed vinyl and use it as a stencil for the various colors and do it much the same way someone would airbrush with the use of templates. Otherwise, not much in the way of your vinyl media is going to stick to fabric for very long. It's not meant to.

GeneralJR

Thank You for the reply Gino,

I tought of the stencil and airbrush it, but it seems to be difficult and I have no experience on doing it.

The job is in Suwanee, GA. If anybody local have experience with airbrush or hand paint, and want to jump on this job we can negociate, I have pictures of the awning and the logo.

We have done several awnings with heat press material. The last one was 3 years ago and it is holding up without any probelm it was 12" x 50'. We cut it and laid the awing on shop floor and taped the materail to the fabric then heat pressed a section at a time. We have also screen printed seveal for local companies. Will be glad to give any help you need just pm me.

i second calling Sonny, if it needs to be painted he's the guy...a heck of a good guy and artist.

there are a few heat set material for awnings but we need to know what it is...my guess is sunbrella.

if it is easily removeable from the building, unbolt that bad boy bring it to an airconditioned warehouse and work on it at ground level versus up in the air in the southern summer heat. it sounds like you have enough challenges on this one without contending with anything else.

you can also have it screenprinted, or paint it with appropriate ink or paint depending on what the material is..but i have seen awnings made out of just about everything (obviously there are some common materials) but i have seen some VERY uncommon materials used as well..so do an adhesion test once you think you know what the material is and the appropriate ink/paint for the job..much better than failure and having to redo for free.

G-Artist

Admittedly I haven't done many awnings and the ones I have worked on were installed and in the field (and dirty).

I took the advice of a sign guy who has had more than his share of awning work and we lettered with Ronan Aquacote.

If there was a way to properly dry the stuff, I'd paint with plastisol. I have found that Aquacote is great on outdoor fabrics. I have done canvas style and even 'vinyl-type' awnings and that stuff works like a charm. It has yet to crack as it would had I used lettering enamel.

Screen printing awning material, as long as it is fabric, is really the way to go for clean colors and longevity. When that isn't possible, then properly painting is the second-best option. Once we "cheated." The sign shop we subcontracted for owned a Gerber Edge and they supplied us with plastisol letters cut on their system. I am assuming Gerber sold rolls of plastisol in various colors on a carrier sheet what you'd cut and weed like vinyl. We did two heat applied applications to awnings and about 6 backs of some director's chairs (canvas) they all came out really well with that stuff. One of the awnings is still up and doesn't look all that bad for being at least 18 years old. Getting heat press lines is going to happen. You can eliminate them somewhat by repressing slightly with a Teflon sheet on top and using light pressure. You just want to remelt slightly so it evens out a bit to be virtually unnoticeable. Practice on scraps if you can.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Here is how I did one recently. Using ShineRite vinyl (it has the most aggressive adhesive of all) cut yourself a mask. Then using a high quality exterior latex, paint in the mask with the same color as the awning...red for red, blue for blue. This will seal the fabric and keep the top coats from crawling under. Then paint your top coat colors and pull the mask. It's best if you can do this job on a table because the vinyl mask doesn't stick very well. I used all latex paint and it should last for years.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 71