• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aww (insert expletive here) - bad head strike now will not detect media.

petesign

JV33 - had my first bad head strike, it was on 13oz banner material and it got bunched up and of course, the head jammed up. All I could do was turn the machine off and move the head back to the capping station. I turned it back on, it detected media fine, and ran a good test print... so I thought I was out of the woods.

Once the banner was finished printing, and I went to cut... that;s where the problem started. It didnt cut the last inch of material on the left side. I lifted the rollers, pulled the material through and cut it the rest of the way. Now it won't detech material at all, it scans for the beginning, scrolls back and gives me the ***ERROR 50*** detect media warning. Even after a hard reset. Any suggestions?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The media detect sensor is on the left edge of the head carriage right next to the media cutter blade. Make sure it did not get knocked loose... if it's not knocked loose it might have gotten some ink on it scrubbing over the bunched up vinyl. Clean it with a q-tip with alchohol only - I would not suggest using solvent to clean it.

petesign

Sightline you made my day. I looked under there again, and the hole where I thought something was supposed to go was empty. So, I took the cover off of the head and there it was lying on it's side accusing me of printer brutality. I snapped it back into place, gave it a little "I am so sorry I wasnt paying attention when I should have been" tap - and it's working again.

Thank you!:U Rock:

I think when they install these things, they should show you where things like that live, so you can fix them without feeling like an idiot :)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I figured thats all it was - they just clip into that spot and can somewhat easily get knocked loose. I know from experience... ;) Glad to help and that is all it was.

signswi

Happens all the time, better it snaps out of place than takes a big hit (plus it's field exchangeable).

brdss

My JV33 actually came shipped to us that way! Sensor was sitting in the general area, so it worked. The tech that came to set up the machine was telling me to watch out for that to come loose due to a head strike. I had him pull the cover to show me in detail, and, what do you know! It was off!

Glad you were able to get back up and running so easily.:thumb: