• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back in Business! well almost, Now what do I buy?

luxx989

So I had a sign shop about 4 years ago. I used a Roland SP300V and a Seal laminator. I learned 30" was just not big enough sometimes, and laminating was well worth it. I want to get back into making stuff but want to know what the equipment is looking like these days. I could go Roland again, but I did want to consider using two machines for cutting and printing this time also. So i'm thinking a Summa cutter (I have a tendency to be attracted to shiny objects). And that's about all I know, lol? What's with the HP L260 and this latex stuff? Also looked at the Summa printer, but not sure if thermal is right for me. Just not sure about so many of the other name brands. I will mainly be doing small signs, stickers, banners, fleet graphics (probably no wraps), and the wallpaper on HP's site looks like it could be fun to play with? Machine could possibly sit for a couple days a week, so low maintenance would be nice, is the latex better on that? Since I started with a printer I have a hard time picturing working without one. Ideally I would like 54", but would consider 30" since I'm used to it anyway, until I build back up some work. I will probably end up buying new, for the printer at least, or a show display possibly. Laminator probably will be used, cutter will be new I imagine. I don't really have a budget set. It kinda depends on what I'm getting for the money I think, but let's say we max at 30k just to put a number on it. I want to do it on the cheap, but don't mind paying for quality where needed. Any help narrowing things down would be appreciated. Thanks

Biker Scout

The field is wide open. And $30k if you're smart can get you really back up and running. I've consulted many sign shops back into business, and that's a good solid number I like to have my clients start with. But honestly, I can get you where you want to be with less than half of that considering today's options.

30" is just silly. 54" is just wide enough to be wasteful when you are trying to a 48" wide print. (50" media is harder to find)

Tyler Durden

If you have the room then two machines is the way to go.
Also the Summa T2 series is what I just got and it is the way to go. Yes it's a little more cost but the thing is built like a tank with sniper accuracy. Maybe look into the new epson graphic printers if you are not into the latex.

kanini

The latex is great with low maintenance and fast printing speeds. However it in my opinion suits better if you have longer runs on the same material, the material loading is faster and easier on the Rolands, the warmup time will eat the difference in print speed if you have short runs. On a bit longer runs the latex is unbeatable, and for example on rollup materials the instant drying is great! If I would be starting out again I'd go with a versacamm, and add a Summa cutter later on when workload increases. When the Versacamm is running all day you could add a latex. Good luck with your business!

Biker Scout

Get a summa plotter, the one with the optical knife to auto cut the prints. OPOS - CAM Series. Ever think about flatbed cutters? Many, many options on the market now for those.

Also, might want to consider just outsourcing your printing side for a bit. Do the cut vinyl in-house. Outsourcing has gone way down in price these days, compared to 4-5 years ago. Banners are $1.25 sq.ft. now. Why would you want to mess with them yourself?

Lots of options!

TheSnowman

If I were you, I'd go to a sign expo and check out what's new. There is one in Orlando in like two weeks. Nothing better than being able to see all kinds of different stuff before you buy it.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
It all depends on what you are going to be doing with the equipment and how much money you want to spend. We have for instance used machines that come with a one year warranty that will do everything you would most likely need but at a fraction of the cost of a new one. We currently have a used Mutoh ValueJet 1614 64" printer and can sell you a new Mutoh ValueCut cutter to go along with it. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you a quote.

luxx989

If you have the room then two machines is the way to go.
Also the Summa T2 series is what I just got and it is the way to go. Yes it's a little more cost but the thing is built like a tank with sniper accuracy. Maybe look into the new epson graphic printers if you are not into the latex.

The Summa guy told me the SummaCut line would work if I wasn't doing sandblast stencil or anything too thick. Will definitely check it out, and the printer as well, thanks. I am curious about the latex.

The latex is great with low maintenance and fast printing speeds. However it in my opinion suits better if you have longer runs on the same material, the material loading is faster and easier on the Rolands, the warmup time will eat the difference in print speed if you have short runs. On a bit longer runs the latex is unbeatable, and for example on rollup materials the instant drying is great! If I would be starting out again I'd go with a versacamm, and add a Summa cutter later on when workload increases. When the Versacamm is running all day you could add a latex. Good luck with your business!

Thanks for the info! This is one option I have really been considering, Veracamm, then work my way back up.

Get a summa plotter, the one with the optical knife to auto cut the prints. OPOS - CAM Series. Ever think about flatbed cutters? Many, many options on the market now for those.
Also, might want to consider just outsourcing your printing side for a bit. Do the cut vinyl in-house. Outsourcing has gone way down in price these days, compared to 4-5 years ago. Banners are $1.25 sq.ft. now. Why would you want to mess with them yourself?

Summa cutter is definitely on my list. Flatbeds were always super high in the past. Outsourcing would be great if I didn't love to play around all this stuff so much, but I love to waste material on my own ideas! lol

If you are looking at the HP, look at the L210. It's just the 260 without the takeup.

Didn't see anything on a L210 but anyone have a L25500, saw a few on ebay but didn't know exactly how old they were, or how well they compared. But they are still Latex I guess.

If I were you, I'd go to a sign expo and check out what's new. There is one in Orlando in like two weeks. Nothing better than being able to see all kinds of different stuff before you buy it.

I totally agree, that's how I did it the first time. My schedule isn't going to let up anytime soon, but I am keeping this in my head as something I need to try and make happen as well.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
$30K can get you an HP 26500/260 and a decent 60" laminator. I would recommend the latex since you said it might sit for a few days(if its any longer you need to sell more!). This would require a whole lotta cleanin' on a solvent machine(wasting ink), while the hp latex is virtually maintenance free.

You will kick yourself in the *** every day for buying a 30" machine.

luxx989

$30K can get you an HP 26500/260 and a decent 60" laminator. I would recommend the latex since you said it might sit for a few days(if its any longer you need to sell more!). This would require a whole lotta cleanin' on a solvent machine(wasting ink), while the hp latex is virtually maintenance free.

You will kick yourself in the *** every day for buying a 30" machine.

So is the HP 26500 the same as the L260? I've seen a few on ebay that say they are around one and a half years old, but I might consider one for the right price. Unless anyone knows of any troubles to look out for with them? I agree with the 30" comment, I did it and my *** was sore every day for 3 years, lol!

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Yeah HP just "simplified" the naming. People here, including me, love the machine over solvents. I would say the only gripe people may have is the relatively long warm-up(10 minutes) and slow output(depending on quality). I average 130ish sqft/hr with 10 pass with my 26500. Some people have access to better profiling equipment and get 6 pass to look decent for most non point of sale distance stuff, which greatly increases output. The flip side is that prints are 100% dry and cured off the machine so no waiting a day to laminate, or gooey vinyl from heavy ink coverage. No stink either!

Also I can run the machine overnight printing a 150 foot roll. The last print looks exactly the same as the first. No baby-sitting for nozzle drop outs/banding issues.

Read the HP forum here to see what things go wrong. Usually and odd sensor here and there. I haven't had any problems with mine since we upgraded from a 25500, but HP's commercial tech support has been top notch for me.

luxx989

For $30k you can get a brand new computer, RIP of choice, HP L260, 60" Plotter/Cutter, and 60" Laminator all new... why would you go used?

Yeah, 30K is max. I hope to get set up for a lot less, I'm willing to wait on a good deal for now vs spending more. I live in a small town, so payback will take me a little longer than some.

luxx989

Yeah HP just "simplified" the naming. People here, including me, love the machine over solvents. I would say the only gripe people may have is the relatively long warm-up(10 minutes) and slow output(depending on quality). I average 130ish sqft/hr with 10 pass with my 26500. Some people have access to better profiling equipment and get 6 pass to look decent for most non point of sale distance stuff, which greatly increases output. The flip side is that prints are 100% dry and cured off the machine so no waiting a day to laminate, or gooey vinyl from heavy ink coverage. No stink either!

Also I can run the machine overnight printing a 150 foot roll. The last print looks exactly the same as the first. No baby-sitting for nozzle drop outs/banding issues.

Read the HP forum here to see what things go wrong. Usually and odd sensor here and there. I haven't had any problems with mine since we upgraded from a 25500, but HP's commercial tech support has been top notch for me.

Thanks for the info, I may just keep looking into one of these. I think it will take care of everything I need and then some. Since I will not be printing constantly like some bigger shops, I don't mind the warm up, or print speed much at all.

tomence

I was very much against the HP Latex printer until i bought one. You buy anything else than a latex printer you will make a mistake. It is that good. You can get L260, Caldera RIP and a 60" Laminator for around $25K all brand new and delivered to your door step. Don't buy used, it's not worth it.

AnthonyRalano

One thing to take into consideration is if you do get another Roland and you aren't going to use white and metallics very much, then skip that option all together. We rarely use the white and metallic on the Versa-Camm and it wastes so much ink cleaning.