• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back lit letters on black

ThatGuy

We are building a set of back lit channel letters for our sign. I have attached an image of similar. We made a letter to test and cannot get the "glow" when using a black substrate for a background. A white background glows great but the gloss black aluminum has no glow, only a reflection.

Is there a trick so we can use a black background?? Matte black, reflective vinyl...???

Attachments

• logo-sign-mockup.jpg
    logo-sign-mockup.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 246

ThatGuy

Using red LED modules for illumination. Really like the red glow. The returns will be milled aluminum, faces will be red. Using clear polycarb for backs & stud mounting about 1" off cabinet.
Would like the cabinet to be black if at all possible but the white background really glows well.

LED MODULES: PA-3D-RXCL
COLOR: Red
WATTS: .72
LUMENS per MODULE: 18
MODULES per FOOT: 2

ThatGuy

I will test some metallic black tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of metallic paint.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Take this with a grain of salt as I know next to nothing when it comes to lighting or channel letters.

Is the aluminum inside the returns white? (If not, this would maybe help)

Assuming you're using a solid black substrate for the backer, would it be crazy to cut the letters out of white vinyl (or white reflective) and apply behind channel letters so the LED's have a lighter color to bounce off?

Again, might be totally useless ideas but I'm also curious how this would be achieved without looking dead on a black background.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Paint the insides of the letters with Matthews High Reflective White.

ThatGuy

The insides of the letters will be painted white.
I did try using white vinyl behind the letter in shape of letter. It helped but I did not like the appearance.

Looking for black metallic paint to test today.
I will plan to use the high reflective white paint for inside of letters. I didn't think of that. The red modules need all the help they can get.

ThatGuy

FYI...
Used an automotive paint, Black Metallic, on black ACM & set the letter off 2". Worked perfect. It does not "glow" as much as the white background but it looks better.