• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Back Up Solution

ikarasu

I'd back up offsite.

Blackblaze and crashplan are both good. Unlimited data for pretty cheap. They're a bit slow on the transfer end... But if you don't plan on backing up 20tb frequently they're good.

Google drive is a bit more expensive... But for business is also unlimited data. Google drive will max your connection out. You can also delete the files off your computer and keep them uploaded, where as I believe on crashplan/blackblaze you have a no thvor so after deleting to redownload them, or the deletion propogates.

Amazon Cloud drive is also fast, but they just got rid of their unlimited option.

For artwork... I'd go with crashplan or blackblaze, turn in encryption and set it up to backup daily. It's a set it and forget it type thing, and then you never have to worry.

At my work we backup to an external HD incase of corrupt files... And we have an IT firm that does an off-site backup to their servers once a week.

All the important files I also have backed up to a second PC, just incase.

WildWestDesigns

Something that I just don't get. Why advocating using a 3rd parties servers/computers for backup?

There are numerous ways of doing offsite backup, shoot even using a USB external backup in my mind is better then using someone else's "cloud" backup.

But maybe that's just me (probably is just me, I'm a strange duck like that).

ikarasu

Something that I just don't get. Why advocating using a 3rd parties servers/computers for backup?

There are numerous ways of doing offsite backup, shoot even using a USB external backup in my mind is better then using someone else's "cloud" backup.

But maybe that's just me (probably is just me, I'm a strange duck like that).
Because cloud backups are the most reliable. I can backup to Amazon, and it'll be saved on East coast and on the west coast... Two different locations. What are the odds my data, a server on the east, and a server on the west coast all fail at once?

I can copy it to a usb.. but im a 6 minute drive from work. If a tornado or something happens (I'm west coast, so doubtful) and wipes my off-site backup and my work backup... I'm still screwed.

Add on to the fact it's $50 a year for unlimited data (truelly unlimited... I have over 40tb of data uploaded on my personal backup), about 6tb for my works, it's all encrytped from my server to theirs so no one can "snoop" on the data... And it makes it worth it.

If someone deletes a file, or accidently saves over one... It's a simple login and a 2 second download.

Cloud backup was made for this exact purpose. It's got more redundancys than a simple off storage usb backup, just as cheap depending on how much data your backing up...more convenient / less work, and until supercomputers that can crack 256k in under 6+ quadrillion years... It's more secure.

Backup solutions like blackblaze automatically encryption all data. I can bet you 99% of shop owners backing up to usb don't do that.

I don't see why people don't use the cloud more often!

WildWestDesigns

Because cloud backups are the most reliable. I can backup to Amazon, and it'll be saved on East coast and on the west coast... Two different locations. What are the odds my data, a server on the east, and a server on the west coast all fail at once?

The odds of my 3 backups (2 offsite, 1 onsite) failing at once are pretty well out there. Plus, for 1 offsite and 1 onsite, I don't have to worry about if I have working internet or not and pretty easily retrieved as well. The 3rd is a mailing away. Which depending on how much you have stored even with cloud backup, might have to do that as well.

Cloud backup was made for this exact purpose. It's got more redundancys than a simple off storage usb backup, just as cheap depending on how much data your backing up...more convenient / less work, and until supercomputers that can crack 256k in under 6+ quadrillion years... It's more secure.

While I wouldn't suggest a USB backup in of itself, however, once that USB is offline and somewhere not connected to the internet, it's hard for anyone to crack it.

I got to tell you, having more convenience tends to do more harm then good.

Backup solutions like blackblaze automatically encryption all data. I can bet you 99% of shop owners backing up to usb don't do that.

The question is, do they keep a copy of the key and where do they store said key? I keep reading about how places that store data, even encrypted data (not necessarily cloud backup as we are talking about, but just info stored about others), have the keys in very close proximity to the encrypted data in question.

It's little penny anny crap like that that makes it hard for me to trust any outside source.

Yes, I can foobar my own storage, but it's my info, that's the chance that I take. Trusting in someone else to care that much about my data is a much harder pill to swallow.

And by the way, it's the human error that I worry about more then it is encryption error. I don't know their standards and given how policies can change and how they do things can change, having control over my backups precludes my having to worry about that. They might actually have software that has been deprecated and no longer supported with flaws. I wouldn't know.

And the more people that are involved between me and my data, the bigger the chance for human error.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just glad everyone is backing up period. I was in the computer repair industry for 5 years and there wasn't a day I had to tell someone they just lost everything. After a while I stopped feeling bad for people, specifically people who declined our advise to do backups when they had a close call or we were able to recover data.

There are many ways to backup, but even a thumb drive in the same desk as the computer is pretty good. The odds of computer failing is 100%. Odds that computer and flash fail is pretty slim. Slimmer if its onsite. Unless you forget to pay your bill

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
PS, it's not a true backup unless it is off site.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to disagree with this. A fire or a flood could easily damage the original data and the onsite backup.

Just having a external backup drive in your car greatly increases your chances your data will be safe.