Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Background Paint

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Sign-Man Signs, Apr 18, 2007.

1. When painting MDO background, what paint do you use and why?

Tags:
  2. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I don't do much MDO, but when I do, I use One-Shot bulletin paints. These have excellent coverage and, if done right, produce a very nice gloss finish. I've also used Ronan Aquacote with good results too, and the good thing is this is water based so clean up is a bunch easier.

3. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Usually ( but not always ) bulletin paints, ( Ronan, Chromatic ). Because they are made for signs, highly pigmented, and good choices of colors.

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I use 1-Shot lettering enamel (sometimes bulletin and sometimes Ronan) on the rare occasion that I do use MDO. I hate that stuff and would rather use regular A/C exterior plywood...it lasts longer and doesn't delaminate!
    Love....Jill

5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    We use to coat our MDO boards with ronan for the nice smooth gloss finish, now we get them already coated, or we use HP vinyl

6. Rich

Rich Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    What's always worked for me.....if the MDO is not pre-primed :Chromactic Block-Out Primer finished with Chromactic Bulletin Top Coat. Always important to use compatible paints.

I've also become a fan of the Laminators LusterBoard. It has a plywood core with pre-finished laminated aluminum sheets on both sides. Comes in a variety of colors.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    1-Shot and Ronan bulletin paints for almost everything.

Reason is because they were designed with that in mind.

8. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    here in Florida with MDO 1-shot lettering or Colorwheel there best brand gloss
    like 1-shot because it holds up better then bullintin or aquacoat used it for years also but fades in a 2 years ..lately been using Colorwheels gloss with great results ...one reason it drys fast can start layout and letter same morning applyed and lasts a long time with a shine and color with seems like no fade
    thank you n enjoy life