• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit curvable display panels

klmiller611

Hi All

I did a search for either a supplier or material suggestion for this, but really seemed to come up empty handed.

We are doing some panels to go in a backlit curved aluminum extrusion frame. These panels are 47.875 x 91.375 inches.

I had previously printed these on a sign white plexi material, with our Agfa Anapurna Mv. Nothing was wrong with the process, short of the weight of the plexi on the exit table occasionally overpowered the vacuum at the very end of the printing process and messed it up. Now, that did not make me happy as the sheet of plexi was about $70 each, not to mention the time.

We only have 6-8 of these things to do, and this only comes up 1-2 times over a year.

I'm looking for suggestions of some material to print these on, it has to be curvable to some extent. These frames, double sided, when viewed from the top, would be the shape of an American football, so not a huge curve.

The plexi, as I said, worked fine, printed nice, but since these things are a one week, one time use only, I was looking for suggestions of either another material that is easy to print, or a supplier who can do something like this. My boss suggested something like a vending machine type insert.

Thanks in advance, I hope I explained this well. These have to fit inside the frame, cannot be a wrap over it.

Best
Ken Miller

Marlene

are they interior or exterior? if interior, maybe you could have the plexi (I would use lexan, not plexi) as a plain backer and then print onto clear thin plastic and slide that in with the plexi/lexan

klmiller611

They are indeed interior, and only to be used for less than a week. I am open to suggestions to material I can print on.

Thanks
Ken

klmiller611

Well, that is what I would have thought. Now that the boss is back in town, he wants to change the idea. He wants something to go in the extrusions that has enough substance to NOT need a plexi backer, now that is a bird of a different feather. Still backlit, but got to have enough strength to hold its shape at nearly 91.5 inches tall.

Any suggestions?

Personally, I'd do the back lit film idea in a heartbeat, but he is always looking for a different angle.

Thoughts?

Ken