• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Backlit media slipping on cutter rollers

Danr2c2

I'm trying to perf cut some backlit PET film media and the material seems to be slipping even when just feeding it through the cutter. I'm using a Graphtec FC8600-130 cutter and media is LexJet Simple Premium Gloss Backlit Film.

This cutter seems to work just fine on other materials like static cling and floor graphic media which I cut both recently without issue. The tracking was perfect for both of those.

I tried to pre-feed the backlit through first to help prevent slipping but it didn't work. I reached out to Graphtec and LexJet but I haven't gotten satisfactory answers from either. Graphtec is initially suggesting the media might be to blame while LexJet is saying the cutter isn't really designed to cut media without a paper backing. LexJet is suggesting I cut by hand or use an XY cutter.

Anyone cutting backlit media on a Graphtec?

Danr2c2

Why don' t you try to stick a transfer paper at the back of PET? As LexJet said...

Funny enough, the paper they suggested was a kraft paper with no plans on how to adhere it, however I didn't even think about a high tack transfer paper. Worth a shot, thanks!

Danr2c2

Well, I tried lining the back with RTape Conform 4075 High Tack transfer tape to improve grip but sadly it wasn’t enough. The material still drifted. I really don't know what else to do other than try a different backlit. But LexJet is saying another backlit like HP Backlit Polyester film would exhibit the same issues since the cutter isn't designed to cut backlit film like that.

Am I using the wrong equipment? Is anyone else cutting backlit media on a vinyl cutter or am I the only one trying to do this? How do people normally cut backlit film?

Bly

Am I using the wrong equipment? Is anyone else cutting backlit media on a vinyl cutter or am I the only one trying to do this? How do people normally cut backlit film?

I'd say yes you are.
We'd use a ruler&knife, javelin or flatbed cutter.