• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit outdoor printed vinyl Orajet 3850

sfr table hockey

Using some orajet 3850 to print some backlits (outdoor) and wondering about laminate.

Would oraguard 210 be fine for at least a few years?

If so is there a preference to either matt, gloss or semi gloss for a backlit?

thanks

threeputt

Have used the 210 for years (over 3850) with no problems to date. Gloss or matte would probably only matter if you were doing indoor pieces, say, for a museum or something.

Everything gloss outdoors gets "matte" in a few weeks with all the soot and etc. falling out of sky.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
210 is way over priced for calendered laminate, my gloss and matte are only $0.15 sq.ft and will hold up just as good as anything on the market. 54"x150' $101.25

sfr table hockey

Have used the 210 for years (over 3850) with no problems to date. Gloss or matte would probably only matter if you were doing indoor pieces, say, for a museum or something.

Everything gloss outdoors gets "matte" in a few weeks with all the soot and etc. falling out of sky.

Thanks for the info as they were saying it showed not recomended on 3850. Good to hear what has worked.

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

210 is way over priced for calendered laminate, my gloss and matte are only $0.15 sq.ft and will hold up just as good as anything on the market. 54"x150' $101.25

Josh.... I would love to be able to order a bunch of stuff from you from what I have heard and prices I have seen. Just have to work on that shipping thing up here. Some times the freight kills the savings. You had been looking into options for up here....... any luck...?

sfr table hockey

I'm pretty sue the 3850 a premium cast media. Use a premium laminate (in this case 290).

In a handout I have it lists it as a soft calendered... not quite sure what that means. I wonder if that is an old term?

What is good to hear though, is that (threeputt) has used 210 on his with no issues.

I still rather take the input from 101 users than some of the sales people that may not have had any hands on with the product.

So thanks to all for the input.

Rydaddy

I totally would have bet $1000 that it was premium. Glad I didn't! That crap is NOT cheap if it is soft calandered. B@stards. don't sue a ton of it, but that means I always have at least (1) 60" roll on the floor.

Malkin

It is listed as a premium calandered with a rating of something like 7 years.

The 3m trans is a cast product rated at only 5 years and is about 2.5 times the price. :-/

sfr table hockey

I just used up the end of a roll of 3M Scotchcal film ESM TVP and it had a horrible smell to the vinyl. Worse than any ink smell I've used. Printed nice. Hope the 3850 does not when it gets here.

Malkin

Weird how so many 3m vinyl have unique pungent odors.

The oracal trans is typical oracal; almost no smell.

MikePro

most of my backlit has a frame of sorts and I have no qualms laminating my 3850 with 210. I have yet to see an issue in the past 4+ years. I'm pretty confident that the color will fade before your graphic delams further than a couple rippled edges.

MikePro

In a handout I have it lists it as a soft calendered... not quite sure what that means. I wonder if that is an old term?
newer term. its actually a calendared, but is manufactured so well that it performs like a cast vinyl. just a fancy term that allows them to up the $$$ for a material worthy of the cost.

Turfa

It is listed as a premium calandered with a rating of something like 7 years.

The 3m trans is a cast product rated at only 5 years and is about 2.5 times the price. :-/

Ha ha..... love the marketing stuff re film ratings. Read the fine print & get straight on warranty vs "expected durability"

phototec

I'm pretty sue the 3850 a premium cast media. Use a premium laminate (in this case 290).

Per the Oracal website:

ORAJET 3850 Translucent Calendered Digital Media

This high-performance, 3-mil, 7-year translucent inkjet media is excellent for producing brilliant backlit signage, both indoors and out. ORAJET®3850 features a semi-gloss finish for reduced glare and a clear, permanent adhesive for internally illuminated applications that last. Recommended for use with ORAGUARD® Series 215, 240, 290, 290F, and 293 laminating films.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=211

:thumb: