• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit profiling with i1 pro 2?

sballinger

Ok, we finally got our new spectro (i1 pro 2) and I'm profiling for our LX850. Next up will be profiling for the FB700 which is sitting here but gets installed tomorrow. I've heard that a special spectro is needed for backlit profiling. Is there a useable work around for profiling backlits with the standard i1? Like profiling the material while illuminated on a lightbox? The profile for the FB will be more important then the backlit media for the LX. Plus the damn LX is a contone printer so it uses it's own linerizations and ink limits. Even the HP techs in Atlanta don't know what's the deal with it being a contone printer, bad idea HP. Regardless, I'm all ears for backlit profiling suggestions.

FrankW

If using a lightbox, the swatch will be illuminated from two different light sources (the light from the table and the light from the i1) ... I don't know what should happen with the measurements under this conditions. Our Spectrophotometer which can handle reflective and transmissive measurements - as far as I know - switches the light source from the measuring head to a lamp below the table (behind the media) when doing transmissive measurements.

But this will lead to differences in Colours too as soon as the light source don't have the same light than the lamp of the device. Before trying to do something with light tables, I would suggest do use nothing of this kind.

sballinger

My boss and I were just discussing this after I posted this. We have a 5 x 10' lightbox with fluorescent ballasts in it and fluorescent bulbs in the room. So what we see might be what the final viewing after install is or could be something different (maybe LEDs are being used, etc) I'm going to ask the tech from Northlight when he comes out tomorrow and see if it makes sense to profile the backlits or just use another profile with the density jumped up.