• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

backlit sign box

nopalito24

hey fellas/gals,
Hopefully I'm in the right page to post this but I have my first backlit sign box project to do, was going just copy the the way the sign is made now which is translucent vinyl on 1/8in. acrylic. But I have access to a large format printer and have some backlit film. Question: what is the best way to do this? my idea is to print image, then reprinted again in mirror mode,-then w/ some adhesive(which I'm not sure what kind of adhesive)stack the images back to back, then pasting the graphics on a white acrylic sign face to slide in to the sign box. Does this sound ok? again I have not done this type of sign before but it is not that big so It is doable for me, I've read this mirror type application on this site before-or can I just print 2 graphics w/out mirroring then pasting them back to back? will the backlit film together w/ the acrylic make it too dark at night?
any- any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:thankyou:

J Hill Designs

print on white trans, apply first surface to white acrylic (I suggest 3/16" rather than 1/8") - then mirror print on clear, apply second surface

940AC

Try and use 2447 white acrylic if you can. It's a "milkier" white and will help disperse the light better, which in turn should make a better looking backlit image.
2447 is a recommended white for LED applications.
You can print on an Arlon 6500, IJ3630, Oracal 3850 and do just fine with first surface application.

nopalito24

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, that is exactly the acrylic type pc. that I have so its great into. I also have a roll of back lit film which is not adhesive back hoping I can use to avoid buying media so I'm currently playing w/ different saturation setting for the print. Since I don't have adhesive vinyl is there an adhesive spray or which ever type that you recommend? one that will hold over time w/ the hot weather here in SoCal?

again thank you all very much for taking the time.:thankyou: