• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Sign Face

RebelGraphics

Just adding more services to our repertoire. Can’t say no to anything nowadays.
My church asked me to replace their sign. As you can see in the pic, print is done and face is cracked.
What is the ideal materials to get this done right and long lasting? (Substrate, thickness, print, lam)

Attachments

• 6E1ED40F-10F4-4AB5-9121-80E8EC879831.jpeg
    6E1ED40F-10F4-4AB5-9121-80E8EC879831.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 238

unclebun

For a sign face with just lettering and solid graphics, get a new face (polycarbonate is more fracture resistant but yellows faster than acrylic. On a relatively small sign like that you can take your pick). But don't print the graphics. Use cut translucent vinyl. It will last way, way longer and look 10 times better as well. Easier to change the pastor's name or service times too.

RebelGraphics

For a sign face with just lettering and solid graphics, get a new face (polycarbonate is more fracture resistant but yellows faster than acrylic. On a relatively small sign like that you can take your pick). But don't print the graphics. Use cut translucent vinyl. It will last way, way longer and look 10 times better as well. Easier to change the pastor's name or service times too.
1/4 inch?
Buying several vinyl rolls may not be cost effective

Justin R.

.177 or 1/4” Acrylic will suffice. 7328 White or “Sign White” as it’s called. Depends on if the sign still lights up, if not and there is no hope to repair , then you can easily use a 3 or 6 mil Aluminum composite like Dibond and call it a day. You can Print and Laminate it and it will last a very long time too, cut vinyl is great but Just print on quality materials and it will last for years. It has a channel so minimal shrinkage will be ok. I have ones I’ve done 3+ years ago that haven’t flinched, I drive by them every day.

Justin R.

If you do want to print and the sign is a lit sign then you can use a translucent material and apply double strike settings, to saturate printed areas, it’s definitely necessary for back lit printed signs.

unclebun

You can buy cut vinyl by the yard from at least one national vendor. The best a print will do is about 5 years. And when it fails it will either fade away completely or depending on the laminate, turn brown/black burnt like the current one. Translucent vinyls meant for this use will last 9 years or more.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Agree with Uncle Bun. I have never had issues using a cast acrylic (2447) with 3m 3630 translucent cut vinyl. Have signs I drive by that are 10 years old and still look great. If you can avoid digital printing this is the way to go.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
In my past experience the print turning brown & cracking is due to the type of laminate used. Use a better longer lasting cast laminate. Read the specs on the laminate.
But probably the best you can expect from a laminated print is about 5yrs depending
on how much sunlight the sign gets a day. We had several signs turn brown and crack and it was the laminate. Under the laminate the printed decal still looked good.
And in most cases only ONE side of the sign with the printed laminated decal would do this, the other side would look good and not need replacing.
We switched to a cast 3M laminate and haven't had that happen again...yet.
Cut translucent vinyl is alot longer lasting option though, I do cut vinyl on backlit faces when I can...
Regular Non-Translucent vinyl will work too in alot of cases on backlit faces. Just hold a piece of the vinyl you want to use with the liner removed up next to a fluorescent bulb in your shop and see if
light shines thru it to have the same effect as translucent vinyl...

Andy D

We had several signs turn brown and crack and it was the laminate. Under the laminate the printed decal still looked good.
And in most cases only ONE side of the sign with the printed laminated decal would do this, the other side would look good and not need replacing.
Do you mind naming the brand that was turning brown?