• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Sign Help

GhostPrinting

Looking for tips on how to replace this backlit signage (removal of old and replace with new printed vinyl). Is there a vinyl that is able to be applied to the inside of this or will I need to reverse print this? TIA

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    969.5 KB · Views: 203

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd order a new formed face. Commercial Plastics is one that would form and mount the print for ya. They really don't want a flat face, as it will look like a jail cell with all the vertical lamps showing.

GhostPrinting

I'd order a new formed face. Commercial Plastics is one that would form and mount the print for ya. They really don't want a flat face, as it will look like a jail cell with all the vertical lamps showing.
What would you do if you just needed to replace the vinyl part with a new name? I am looking to replace it with printed ORAJET 3850 TRANSLUCENT PRINTABLE VINYL.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Some of the things you're asking don't make sense. How you going to install vinyl on the back of you have a white pan?

JBurton

Signtologist
I don't like it when someone posts the same question in two separate threads.
Good to know!
replace the vinyl part with a new name?
Ah, I saw it on the ground and assumed it was demolished. Honestly try to pick the old name off. On occasion I've seen clear faces with a coat of paint as the white after painting the back side, but it's been quite some time. If I had a clear formed face like this, I'd probably print reverse on clear, and overlay with white trans after, if not two layers to keep it from hot spotting.

GhostPrinting

Good to know!

Ah, I saw it on the ground and assumed it was demolished. Honestly try to pick the old name off. On occasion I've seen clear faces with a coat of paint as the white after painting the back side, but it's been quite some time. If I had a clear formed face like this, I'd probably print reverse on clear, and overlay with white trans after, if not two layers to keep it from hot spotting.
Thank you! I am new to this type of sign business as I mostly do banners etc.. It doesn't look painted on the inside it looks to have vinyl on the inside of the pan face. I was wondering if I could reverse print IF i could remove this to save the pan face as it looks to be in decent shape. I am pricing new pan faces as well but was trying to save this church some money with a good lasting product. Thank you.

unclebun

it may have vinyl letters on the inside, but the white is painted after the vinyl is applied. If you want to reuse the pan face, you will have to remove the vinyl (if any) by peeling it off, then remove all the paint using denatured alcohol, paper towels and elbow grease and time. Once you have the face absolutely clear and clean again then you can apply new vinyl lettering to the backside and then spray white Gripflex paint over it all to make the face white again. Or you could spray the face white on the backside with the Gripflex and apply your translucent lettering to the front. Or make a double translucent print (print on clear, then again on translucent white vinyl and apply the clear one first, then the white one on top of it).

Or you could throw the old face away and get a new one made from white acrylic or polycarbonate and letter it or apply the prints to that. If you've ever stripped an old painted face, you'll opt for the latter for sure.

GhostPrinting

it may have vinyl letters on the inside, but the white is painted after the vinyl is applied. If you want to reuse the pan face, you will have to remove the vinyl (if any) by peeling it off, then remove all the paint using denatured alcohol, paper towels and elbow grease and time. Once you have the face absolutely clear and clean again then you can apply new vinyl lettering to the backside and then spray white Gripflex paint over it all to make the face white again. Or you could spray the face white on the backside with the Gripflex and apply your translucent lettering to the front. Or make a double translucent print (print on clear, then again on translucent white vinyl and apply the clear one first, then the white one on top of it).

Or you could throw the old face away and get a new one made from white acrylic or polycarbonate and letter it or apply the prints to that. If you've ever stripped an old painted face, you'll opt for the latter for sure.
Thank you for your help!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All I can add, is that if this is your first time doing something like this..... DON'T try to reclaim the old faces. You will most likely burn and ruin the faces stripping them, as suggested. Ask me how I know. I remember a very important lesson learned and ruined some faces. They looked like plastic vomit all over the inside. Luckily, the guy was my cousin and I talked him into letting me paint them and hand-letter the outside. All the damage was done on the backside, so it was nice and smooth and took paint very well.

Billct2

Your name is appropriate because after all that work it may still have a ghost :roflmao:
If it was me I'd buy a new white formed face and apply a day/night print first surface.