• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Signage

Jolly Green

What do you all recommend we do for backlit signs given the following information:

We have a Roland 54" (not sure what series) along with 2 flatbed HPs (910 and 950)

Should we be

(1) printing on vinyl (oracal 3850 with the 215 laminate) and laying that on lexan or acrylic

(2) print directly to the lexan using the flatbed.

Thanks.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well if you mess up the print then it will cost you alot more to fix if you print to the lexan so I would reccomend printing on the trans vinyl and applying to the face.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
by subsurface do you mean on the inside (lightbulb side) of the acrylic/lexan?

Yep... works great to prevent washout at night. You could also double strike the front instead but that has issues on color etc due to the amount of ink.

eforer

We print directly to backlit sign faces all the time. If you have a transmissive spectrophotometer you can get a good start on a profile which will have *relatively* consistent results with internal illumination. Granted color temp, lamp output and distance to face have a big impact.

kffernandez

Yep... works great to prevent washout at night. You could also double strike the front instead but that has issues on color etc due to the amount of ink.

i'm just curious. how would printing on the bulb side prevent washout at night?

kelly

GB2

Old Member
A common practice is to print on clear, apply to first surface then print on white translucent and apply on top of clear first surface. This serves to show correct color during the day and during the night the light has to illuminate both prints through double color so it shows up vibrantly and doesn't wash out. However, I've never heard of applying the first print second surface. How are you supposed to maintain registration between the layers of print when they are separated by 1/4" of acrylic, especially since proper registration is one of the critical things to achieve success with this method?

Bigdawg

Just Me
We reverse print on clear vinyl and apply on the lamp side of the substrate after applying the front print. Registration is not as super-critical as you think - although you do need to be fairly close. We have work tables with spaces underneath for garbage cans. We lean the faces against the table and have a lamp we put in that garbage can space behind it that helps us line up the prints.

Depending on the size of the face, you can be almost 1/4" off and still have good results. IMHO this is the best way to get good color both night and day.

boxerbay

many good suggestions here. it depends on the backlit sign. if it is a mall kiosks that is always illuminated then you can get away with a front only double strike. if it is a day/non -illuminated and night/illuminated then it is better to front print translucent with a mirrored clear on lamp side as others have suggested. if you only double strike a day non illuminated sign then it will look very dark during the day and nice at night. if you dont use a lamp side clear it will look nice during the day but washed out at night.
backlits are tricky as different boxes have different amounts of light and this affects the final color output.

kffernandez

Gary, Stacy, Boxerbay... your explanations make perfect sense.
in the past, i've simply applied double strike on everything. i think it's about time, i did it right. thanks! :U Rock:

kelly

Mosh

Depends on the design, might be WAAYYY easier and cheaper to use cut trans film and white lexan....not to mention look better, inkjet prints if not done correctly have a "washed' look.

Dave1417

Stacy, boxerbay.... Never thought of this.... I am assuming you are using white Lexan? Clear reverse print on clear vinyl on light side and clear print on front? Or!!! Clear Lexan clear vinyl print on light side and white translucent on front... God I love this site !!! My double hits look great at night not so good during the day. Single hit is washed out and I don't like it at all....