• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlits, How are you doing them?

MikePro

digital print on clear with digital print/lam on white trans. applied over the top.
perfect, day or night.

otherwise its just stock trans. vinyl colors.

Parthenia

Need help with a lighted sign...never done one before!

Translucent vinyl hand cut only

Craig Sjoquist, I have a lighted sign that has a formed face on both sides that they want removed and replaced with flat substrate. I have never worked on a lighted sign. I was reading on an old thread that I should use a .177 sign white polycarb and apply translucent vinyl. I understand I can order the translucent vinyl by the yard at Fellers. Where can I get the polycarb (if that is what I need?) I order from N. Glantz & Sons and will call them tomorrow to see if I can get it from them. I have to make a bid with a design by the 29th. Sign box measures 61" long by 36.5" tall. Then do I need to seal the edges of the vinyl to make it last?

He is also asking if I could do business cards for them...a police department. Where is a good place to order them wholesale?

Parthenia

I need help with a lighted sign

Open to anyone's comments....I need to replace the faces and have never done this before....I only have a cutter so was wondering about translucent vinyl. Also what kind of face do I need to order? Do I need to seal it after applying the vinyl? Sign box measures 61" long by 36.5" tall. I have to get a bid in by the 29th. I had wondered about ordering it printed but I have read that they don't last long.

pogiboy9

They do fine laminated and properly installed. If you're looking to save money up front but potential fading sooner than later, don't get lam depending on conditions and how long you let ink dry before you install out in sun you could get over 1 year easily, if you do the same and have it laminated. You should yield over 3 years for that print and sign. I'd think you'd get translucent white plex.

Open to anyone's comments....I need to replace the faces and have never done this before....I only have a cutter so was wondering about translucent vinyl. Also what kind of face do I need to order? Do I need to seal it after applying the vinyl? Sign box measures 61" long by 36.5" tall. I have to get a bid in by the 29th. I had wondered about ordering it printed but I have read that they don't last long.

Parthenia

They do fine laminated and properly installed. If you're looking to save money up front but potential fading sooner than later, don't get lam depending on conditions and how long you let ink dry before you install out in sun you could get over 1 year easily, if you do the same and have it laminated. You should yield over 3 years for that print and sign. I'd think you'd get translucent white plex.

So you are recommending translucent white plex and using translucent vinyl I cut and install...then laminate...haven't ever laminated anything. So do I buy clear vinyl and just apply over the entire face to seal the translucent vinyl? Also what do you mean by Iam...is this a brand name for ink?

pogiboy9

I assumed since you mentioned having it printed and you were just going to install it, I was saying get the plexi, have it printed on white backlit vinyl and have it laminated. Install it or have it installed by the guy that laminated your material and then you go install the physical plexi on customer site. Slightly less money in the long run, but less work and potential headache. Especially if this is your first replacement, it'll give you understanding for next job.

So you are recommending translucent white plex and using translucent vinyl I cut and install...then laminate...haven't ever laminated anything. So do I buy clear vinyl and just apply over the entire face to seal the translucent vinyl?

Parthenia

I assumed since you mentioned having it printed and you were just going to install it, I was saying get the plexi, have it printed on white backlit vinyl and have it laminated. Install it or have it installed by the guy that laminated your material and then you go install the physical plexi on customer site. Slightly less money in the long run, but less work and potential headache. Especially if this is your first replacement, it'll give you understanding for next job.

Thanks for your help!

TammieH

re: Parthenia

How deep is the back lit sign frame? Sometimes a pan face is used on thinner frames, say like 5", so you do not have hot spots in the lighting (when using a flat sheet)

Parthenia

How deep is the back lit sign frame? Sometimes a pan face is used on thinner frames, say like 5", so you do not have hot spots in the lighting (when using a flat sheet)

Oh boy...I'll have to go look at it again. Good point. I'd hate to use a flat face and have the vinyl melt in spots!!!

Parthenia

I took a quick trip and the box is 6" deep. I took photos and have attached them hopefully so you can see it. Thanks so much for your help TammieH!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 97