• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backup Power

Doubletake

We have had a few power outage issues here the last few weeks. Almost finished a job then it went out. Has anyone ran a battery backup for a printer before? What size would it take if possible or why not?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
If you have a 220 V printer (or even double 220 V) prepare to spend $$$$$$$$$$$

rjssigns

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
That will NEVER run a latex 360. Rated output is 1000watts @ 230V HP360 printer uses 4600watts while printing. You will spend north of $3000 to get that kind of power, and it will only last for a few minutes. You won't be finishing any jobs.

Who said anything about running a latex printer?
We're in the Roland subforum.

Doubletake

Thanks

SP 540i is what I am running. Do you run it seperately? One for computer, one for printer. Or use the same one for both?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
It depends how long you need to run it when the power is out.
My VS-540 takes about 900w when running with the heaters full blast (50C dryer), so it can only run for ~10 mins before depleting the battery.
We rarely have outages here, but we installed this to stop any fluctuations destroying a job.
APC have a runtime chart on their site: http://www.apc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=SMT1500&chartSize=large
We did have both the PC and printer running off the same unit without any issues.

We now run a 3kVA unit which hosts another printer as well, but as mentioned, very few outages that last more than a few seconds here but the amount of jobs it has saved has paid for itself.