• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backup System Needed - Please Educate Me

TheSnowman

I just bought 200 gig of space from iCloud. I have a time machine backup for my local files, but store all my new files on the cloud I create so that I can access them at home, or from my iPhone easily wherever I am. It's $3/month. I had the Western Digital "My Cloud" which worked ok, but I didn't like the interface, plus it's not "off site" so if the place burns to the ground, I'm still up poop creek. I occasionally pull all my files over to my time machine backup, as well as the western digital drive, so I'm only out 6 months of work instead of 12 years from time to time.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I checked out the trial version of Acronis True Image, and it seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I'm doing. The full initial backup of almost 400 gigs took almost four hours on an external drive. Obviously, subsequent backups will require far less time. Cloud-based backup is almost out of the question since we only have DSL in our rural area.

JB