• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Cyan & Magenta output

Any idea why I might be getting this type output from C & M? the Y and B that print are super solid.

I'm printing on a VJ 1204. The nozzle check I ran was flawless.

I'm thinking possibly a heater or damper issue? Just looking for some additional input. I'll probably start by changing the damper out.

Attachments

• 20190927_083804.jpg
    20190927_083804.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 198

Umca

It may happens because resonance things. It starts from carriage rail wear, not so good quality or carriage bearings. Small vibrations has a resonance on steel bear, and we cal look it as vertical banding.
It may happens because printhead not aligned
Also it possible because media overheating and it looks as track from pressure rollers.

If there was an issue with print head alignment wouldn't it effect all colors? Only the C and the M are doing this.

I find it tough to believe a carriage bearing is at fault because I replaced the entire carriage assembly within the last 3 months.

I didn't quite follow about the media overheating issue? Could this be a fault heater? My machine is a little over 10 year old now with most all the working part replaced. Including the print head about 4 year back and the maintenance station for a second time within the last year.

It may happens because resonance things. It starts from carriage rail wear, not so good quality or carriage bearings. Small vibrations has a resonance on steel bear, and we cal look it as vertical banding.
It may happens because printhead not aligned
Also it possible because media overheating and it looks as track from pressure rollers.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Were the bearing raceways also replaced when the carriage was done? Vibrations in the carriage movement do cause this issue. The yellow would be almost impossible to see and the black is dark enough to cover the issues.

Thank you guys for all your input. I'm processing it all, thinking back this issue probably did start when I changed out the carriage assembly. I swapped out the assembly with an entirely brand new one.

You asked about the "bearing raceways": Are the bearing raceways the 2 bearing that are at the bottom of the assembly with the springs? If so they were replaced, new one came with the assembly..

Back when I changed the carriage assembly, I found out my original carriage assembly wasn't bad and it actually didn't need replaced. The CR motor was my issue back then.

When you asked about the carriage making noise. I did notice in the last prints I ran a very subtle tick at the end of the pass before the carriage changes direction to go back to the cap.

Possibly I should go back over all the step of the carriage assembly to be sure everything is tight and secure? or maybe even put the old assembly back in?

Were the bearing raceways also replaced when the carriage was done? Vibrations in the carriage movement do cause this issue. The yellow would be almost impossible to see and the black is dark enough to cover the issues.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The bearing raceways are the part of the printer that the carriage bearings run against. If you had a failed bearing on the old carriage it will score the raceways causing new carriages to vibrate.

As for the noise at the end of each pass that is almost certainly the belt tension spring being compressed when the carriage changes directions. This could mean that the belt isn't at the right tension, is damaged or the spring itself is getting worn out. Any of these issues could also cause the print issues you are seeing as well.

Thank you so much for all your knowledgeable input. The bearings from the previous carriage were all spinning freely, non were seized. I inspected the race way, there visually isn't any wear at the points of contact of all the bearings.

I did mess with the belt tension at the time I did all the changes to my machine. Perhaps that is where I need to start. Do you have any recommendations how to properly tension the belt?

I'm going to look back, I believe I took picture of the adjustment. I'm almost certain everything was put back to where it was originally.

The bearing raceways are the part of the printer that the carriage bearings run against. If you had a failed bearing on the old carriage it will score the raceways causing new carriages to vibrate.

As for the noise at the end of each pass that is almost certainly the belt tension spring being compressed when the carriage changes directions. This could mean that the belt isn't at the right tension, is damaged or the spring itself is getting worn out. Any of these issues could also cause the print issues you are seeing as well.

I have a image attached of where the belt is riding on the cr motor. The belt is butted against (rest on) the lip that is on the bottom of the drive gear of the CR motor. Should there be more tension? will this belt ride higher on the cr gear if there is more tension?

I also highlighted in this photo a yellow circle where on the new cr motor one of the electronic post from the CR motor is slightly in contact with the plastic circular piece. Could this be an issue? I notice toward the bottom of this circular plastic piece there is some sort of sensor that you can see in the image..

Attachments

• cr.jpg
    cr.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 172
I looked back and I do have the tensioner set to the same location it was set before I changed out the carriage. However there is alot of slop in the tensioner, to the point where it wobbles. I'm experimenting now with adding some tension slowly to see if anything levels out

After running some vinyl with the covers off, playing with the tensions, I noticed the PF motor wasn't turning. I gave the belt some subtle manual persuasion and it got the wheels turning and they have been still spinning with a few print restarts.

Now with the PF motor spinning it seems my ink saturation may be a little deeper? The zebra type vertical banding is still happening. However these colors I'm trying to print may also be a little out of gamut.

I will order the needed pf motor. Could this have been my print issue cause? Should I also order a belt or spring? Do these belts wear out? My machine is over 10 years old.