• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad leadership

Quark

Merchant Member
so in these days and age. Where every boss is expected to be a leader. Expected to be a larger than life, inspiring, motivating, providing, wise and fair opportunity creator. Be a 5-star all around motivational poster figure

What do you do with your self if you are a bad leader? Demanding. Angry. Pushy. Bulling. Spontaneous. Irrational. Extreme hard worker. Unforgiving. Moody. Not trusting. Micromanaging —— type of the person who creates and sustains the business?

How should I overcome a daily feeling of a piece of sh*t I am.

Don’t tell me to change and grow. Simply not possible - no such potential

brycesteiner

Sounds like a previous boss I had....

For the sanity of the people that work for you, and for your own health... find someone that can lead and take your place. Maybe that person comes from within.

That would be the part about changing and growing that he says can't happen.

Micromanaging is a serious issue and probably most of us do it in a small shop. It has people then coming bck to us to ask if they did it right and then we can give our approval or disapproval and the feeling of power at the same time.

Perhaps you would be better off making the business just you, especailly if you like what you do. If you don't want that, or the solution Tex gave, then you changing is the only option left.
Don't think you can't. People can change, I've seen it myself. Do not doubt the power that God can do if you humble yourself before others.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

I understand many of these feelings. Leading people is the greatest calling. It's the final, never possible to fully master, point of growth. You can master installation, running equipment, solving technical problems, marketing, finance, etc, but leadership will take a lifetime to simply get adequate.

The only thing you can change is yourself. You have to realize that. Everything else is much further out of your control than any of us would like to admit.

Maybe you're looking at changing in the wrong place. Maybe your hard driving personality isn't the problem, maybe it's your timing - get up earlier, maybe you don't take enough vacations, maybe you're not listening to the right customers, maybe you have someone in your life you need to hug more often.

-Gene

Andy D

You didn't say if you own the business or just manage it.... If you own it;
To paraphrase from the the great book the "E-myth" When most of us start a business, we have to
wear all three hats the tech, management, & entrepreneur (how he divides up business).
Tech - any and all things directly contributing to production,
Management - self explanatory
Entrepreneur - promotes and over see from a distance.
And we tend to get stuck in our comfort zone, even if we're not great at it.
Your goal from day one should be to seperate yourself from your business and set it up so it runs without you having to be there.

Then again, I only manage department of a business, so WTF do I know? :)

rjssigns

Change is possible and inevitable. You either change how you work or the job will ultimately take a permanent toll.

My neighbor was a shining example of this. High stress position. Ended up getting carted out of work on a stretcher. Doctor told him either you quit the job or the job quits you.

SignStudent

Look into starting a meditation practice for like 10 minutes a day (assuming you don't already). If you're at all skeptical like I was just spend the few minutes it takes to skim some articles and see there's a lot of science supporting the benefits. It's easy to get started, just download one of the many free apps.

TimToad

Naturally, the variables between all of our various business models and types along with our expectations will influence just how much personal development we need to employ in our leadership and role model abilities. Thankfully, resources abound on how to improve our interpersonal skills when dealing with employees, people, etc.. which in this case seems to be the major issue.

Changing times, attitudes about work in general and generational shifts in expectations, the definition of what constitutes "competency, effort, retention, work ethic, an honest day's work, etc.." just can't be pigeon holed into a single response or reaction.

We've had employees who were completely motivated, showed up on time every day, worked hard, did competent work, were pleasant and responsive to feedback and instruction, etc. and we've had those who spent more time perfecting their interviewing skills to get hired than all of those qualities. They need a job, don't care what it is, will do as little as possible, and are halfway out the door the day you hire them.

Our economy is changing rapidly with huge transformations in regards to technology, automation, worker relevancy, commodification, stagnant and/or dropping wages, etc. That combined with uncertainty about our long term future politically and environmentally has younger people very uncertain of just how deeply they should engage and invest in themselves.

Workers and owners of "small" businesses aren't immune from those changes or the pressures and stresses they trigger.

Only you can decide how much you value your way of life, your business and the level of contentment you want to derive from it on a daily basis. Good luck of figuring it out.

Look into starting a meditation practice for like 10 minutes a day (assuming you don't already). If you're at all skeptical like I was just spend the few minutes it takes to skim some articles and see there's a lot of science supporting the benefits. It's easy to get started, just download one of the many free apps.

Or find balance with a hobby if meditation isn't your thing. Hobbies can be a great way to relieve stress and relax.

TimToad

Or find balance with a hobby if meditation isn't your thing. Hobbies can be a great way to relieve stress and relax.

Absolutely! I suffer from tinnitus from too many concerts and working around loud tools and meditation is really hard for someone whose inner ear is always buzzing. But I find a lot of calming and stress release from tending to my gardens, disc golf, doing art, listening to music at normal levels, etc..

Johnny Best

so in these days and age. Where every boss is expected to be a leader. Expected to be a larger than life, inspiring, motivating, providing, wise and fair opportunity creator. Be a 5-star all around motivational poster figure

What do you do with your self if you are a bad leader? Demanding. Angry. Pushy. Bulling. Spontaneous. Irrational. Extreme hard worker. Unforgiving. Moody. Not trusting. Micromanaging —— type of the person who creates and sustains the business?

It looks like your on the right track of knowing all your faults. You should make a sign of what you said about yourself and post it up for all the people who work for you to see. They probably already know your a "piece of sh*t" but at least you all will be on the same page, which might be a good start becoming a better leader.
And you won't have to change, grow or get into silly hobbies to relieve stress.

OADesign

Start climbing trees. Its legal in your state now. Or consume magic treats to forgo the stigma of the smoke/smell. But be careful. The pastries these days are POWERFUL. Its only takes a nibble to put an uninitiated man/woman on his/her back. Or on the couch for an extended period. It may be fun for the moment but, you know, we still have to do the work.

But consider getting to know your team/employees better. Knowing a little about another person often illuminates why they have their unique perspectives and proclivities. And knowing these details can help you in many ways. Two specific benefits are: 1) You will probably learn who you can trust with responsibility (and who you shouldn't). And 2) You may have more empathy and not be as angry when said team member/employee does not perform or meet your expectation. I always say, you can't be mad at a dog for barking... its what they do.

Good luck!

Z SIGNS

You are the captain of your own ship.You can change and grow if you believe you can and want to.You are who you think you are.Think like a pos and you will be.Think like a leader and you will be.

SignStudent

Absolutely! I suffer from tinnitus from too many concerts and working around loud tools and meditation is really hard for someone whose inner ear is always buzzing. But I find a lot of calming and stress release from tending to my gardens, disc golf, doing art, listening to music at normal levels, etc..
There's a lot of good information online about alleviating tinnitus symptoms through meditation. Might be something to look into if you haven't. Here's a research article suggesting it's effectiveness: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...apy-approach/0098C3C2FCEDD102B670BF2808312DBC